Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door panel leather peeling off ? best solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:52 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
The key is to start the project before it gets too bad. Do the top but don't peel it off any more, once you get the top back in, just use a putty knife, you then work your way down the door.. If done correctly you'll never tell it was even touched, no need for that welt stuff.
I totally agree with this too. Preventative maintenance on this is a must, especially in warmer climates or where the car is subject to interior heat buildup.

I had installed the welt trim long before mine even started loosening, but after repairing 3 of these issues and installing numerous welt kits, it became clear that this was definitely helping and acting as another contact point for the fabric as well as helping to secure it. Once the welt trim is snug against the door panels, the fabric has no place to go
The welt trim isn't necessary, but can add a bit of break up to the interior colors if so desired, but the toughest part is definitely working the edge back in and making sure it stays secure

Last edited by steel pony; 08-17-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

The reason I say start at the top is, if you take it completely off the door, there is a 100% chance you never get it to line up and fit perfectly. So peel the top back, scrap the old glue off, put it back on, then work your way down the door. The top acts an anchor point. The key is to get the first 3 inches glued and secured, once you do that it's easy. Oh and use tape, that **** will get everywhere and I used cheap foam brushes from home depot in the paint section.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 AM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by steel pony
<snip>

and a linky to the place to buy it
http://www.yourautotrim.com/emwelcor.html
I just had to reglue mine back on as well and I can't get the edges to lay down where they tuck in the door.. The piping looks good.

But, I'm retarded. .went to the link and not sure how you actually install this stuff???
Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM
local311

Default Door trim

My passenger door has completly peeled down to the armrest. I am going to reglue the entire panel with the 3-M adhesive. I am taking off the entire door panel. How do I gety the door handle cover off? Also the window switch cover off. I don't want to break them.

Ken
Old 05-07-2013, 04:21 PM
E&S_Candace

Door Panel Inserts lose it adhesiveness. Vinyl inserts shrink and will begin to peel. For temporary fit the welt is a great idea. To repair professionally, take it to your local automotive upholstery shop. The job is time consuming and difficult for novice. It takes up to 5-6 hours per pair, removing door panels, pattern inserts, install inserts and re-install door panels. However this is way cheaper than getting new door panels though. It is about $2,000 with dealer's part and it is not available.
—Candace at Eddy & Son Upholstery.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 PM
E&S_Candace

Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Team OB

Just got my 08 back today, having the panels redone. Shop claimed it was a bad padding on the metal and a cheaper vinyl. He scraped it all and used an upgraded solid pattern vice the dimpled type. My son's 07 shows signs of air pockets in it right now.
Shop said it's just a bad manufacturing problem and after the many Mustangs he has replaced over the years, never had 1 come back. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Venom83

Talking Welt alternative.

I had the same problem. I glued the leather back on but the edges wouldn't stay down. I was gonna go with black welt but I decided to try something different. I found a 1/8 Crome trim with an adhesive backing at my local parts store (Auto zone ) for $14. The dash and radio have Crome accents, so I thought it would blend nicely and still retain a factory look. It holds the edges in well and so far I'm happy with it. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Door panel leather peeling off ? best solution?-image.jpg  
Old 11-26-2013, 03:21 PM
pmach1jeff

Same problem with my panels falling apart. Found a great alternative in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Mag. Jan 2014 issue. Pieces are from Predator Mustang and fit right over the area where material falls off. Very happy with product and even won a first place trophy at Houston Car show.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:24 PM
pmach1jeff

Quick Reply: Door panel leather peeling off ? best solution?