Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:52 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I personally like the sound of the Hot Rods a lot better than the Brenspeed cams.
(Not knocking them either)

And the Hot Rods gave me a good gain in our 06GT with long tubes and a tune.
I gained like high 30's HP maybe even 40 if I remember.
I had it dyno tuned though
See that's just it. I think I like the idle of the Hot Rods a bit better, but at the same time I've only once heard some detroit rockers in person and briefly. I liked it, but the videos I see of the Hot Rods make me nearly crap myself haha.

I spoke with Chandler at Brenspeed a bit ago, and he said I could definitely run the blower cams without FI for however long I wanted, he just tuned a guy the other day and it still made good power. Really torn at this point. He said the difference between the cams are very minimal and said he used to say that if you were getting a blower in 6 months then sure run the FI grind, otherwise go with the NA. From all that I can't see the Hot Rods being that bad with boost as long as the tuner knows what he's doing.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:07 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Actually my car is at Brenspeed right now getting the B302 set up that you are planing to get. I just waited until I got everything together before bringing it to them. It's hard to do, but it's better planing in the long run. I had this $^!+ sitting in my living room for over a year before I was ready to bring it to them. It was killing me to look at it every day. There are a few more things that you will need if you are getting the Steeda 18-20 psi Whipple drive system. You will need to get a better inter cooler like the AFCO dual fan one, along with a larger throttle body too. I also went ahead and got the Ford racing CNC'd heads, Metco fuel rails, Ford racing throttle body, Comp behive springs, and all the associated gaskets needed. There are other costs like a modified oil pan and 8 bolt flywheel among others that will be needed. I went with their Comp stage 2 cams for this build as recommended by Brenspeed when I began planing this build. My point is that if you are going with the Steeda Whipple drive with that much boost, then you want to go with the cams that will make the best sense of your combo. Just be patient and it will all come together in the end. Whipple industries also has a similar 10 rib drive system as the Steeda one that you may want to look at as an alternative.

Also I believe Brenspeed is now an authorized Ford racing dealer too. They had a great deal on Fluidine radiators while I was there. They were less than half the cost of what I paid for mine over a year ago. If I were you I'd jump on that deal if they haven't sold them all yet.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:41 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

That is sound advice americaniron as I have been doing the same. Just getting all the neccessary parts ready for my B302 install. I too picked up the radiator that they had for sale. Its surprising all the little stuff u need for a b302 build. But I have it all. All though im not going as deep as u guys as far as the psi u will be running. I will be getting mine installed this winter as im hoping to catch a sale on the rotating assembly for black friday but if not then no big deal
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
Actually my car is at Brenspeed right now getting the B302 set up that you are planing to get. I just waited until I got everything together before bringing it to them. It's hard to do, but it's better planing in the long run. I had this $^!+ sitting in my living room for over a year before I was ready to bring it to them. It was killing me to look at it every day. There are a few more things that you will need if you are getting the Steeda 18-20 psi Whipple drive system. You will need to get a better inter cooler like the AFCO dual fan one, along with a larger throttle body too. I also went ahead and got the Ford racing CNC'd heads, Metco fuel rails, Ford racing throttle body, Comp behive springs, and all the associated gaskets needed. There are other costs like a modified oil pan and 8 bolt flywheel among others that will be needed. I went with their Comp stage 2 cams for this build as recommended by Brenspeed when I began planing this build. My point is that if you are going with the Steeda Whipple drive with that much boost, then you want to go with the cams that will make the best sense of your combo. Just be patient and it will all come together in the end. Whipple industries also has a similar 10 rib drive system as the Steeda one that you may want to look at as an alternative.

Also I believe Brenspeed is now an authorized Ford racing dealer too. They had a great deal on Fluidine radiators while I was there. They were less than half the cost of what I paid for mine over a year ago. If I were you I'd jump on that deal if they haven't sold them all yet.
Oh trust me, I know there's so much more necessary for what I'm planning to do haha. Thanks, kind of gives me even more of an idea though. I'd love to wait until I can build everything but honestly being in college now, I probably won't be going built and blown for another 6+ years. In the meantime, I just wanted a set of cams that I'd love to listen to everyday and be able to pull into Mustang night rumbling the chests of everyone I pass haha. Very good advice though, thank you.

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the Hot Rods. I can run them for years with Bama's tunes, and if I do decide down the road that I'd want to switch to Comp's stage 2 blower cams, I can buy them when the time comes. I'm just wary after a user on here said he would foul out his plugs with those cams every 5-10 starts of his car. That and since I'm running these without a blower for a while, I've heard N/A those cams are an absolute dog below 4500 rpm, which isn't acceptable to me. I know I can expect either none to a small loss down low, but I don't want it to be sluggish. Otherwise I would go with the Comps.

I have heard of someone running the hot rods when they were at the 700 rwhp mark, so it can be done with the right tuner and what not. Definitely leaning towards them, though I'm wondering if the DR blower grinds would just be a better bet and save me from buying comps later.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:22 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
That is sound advice americaniron as I have been doing the same. Just getting all the neccessary parts ready for my B302 install. I too picked up the radiator that they had for sale. Its surprising all the little stuff u need for a b302 build. But I have it all. All though im not going as deep as u guys as far as the psi u will be running. I will be getting mine installed this winter as im hoping to catch a sale on the rotating assembly for black friday but if not then no big deal
That's good news. You will enjoy the knowing you have a much stronger short block. Dam, I wish I was as close to Brenspeed as you are.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:27 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
Oh trust me, I know there's so much more necessary for what I'm planning to do haha. Thanks, kind of gives me even more of an idea though. I'd love to wait until I can build everything but honestly being in college now, I probably won't be going built and blown for another 6+ years. In the meantime, I just wanted a set of cams that I'd love to listen to everyday and be able to pull into Mustang night rumbling the chests of everyone I pass haha. Very good advice though, thank you.

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the Hot Rods. I can run them for years with Bama's tunes, and if I do decide down the road that I'd want to switch to Comp's stage 2 blower cams, I can buy them when the time comes. I'm just wary after a user on here said he would foul out his plugs with those cams every 5-10 starts of his car. That and since I'm running these without a blower for a while, I've heard N/A those cams are an absolute dog below 4500 rpm, which isn't acceptable to me. I know I can expect either none to a small loss down low, but I don't want it to be sluggish. Otherwise I would go with the Comps.

I have heard of someone running the hot rods when they were at the 700 rwhp mark, so it can be done with the right tuner and what not. Definitely leaning towards them, though I'm wondering if the DR blower grinds would just be a better bet and save me from buying comps later.
You can't go wrong with the Hot Rods, or Detroit Rockers. They will actually give you a much more lopey muscle car sound than the Comp stage 2
Old 08-31-2012, 11:20 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
You can't go wrong with the Hot Rods, or Detroit Rockers. They will actually give you a much more lopey muscle car sound than the Comp stage 2
Thanks, feels good hearing some encouragement from someone who's basically doing what I dream to do down the road. Just curious, which stage 2's are you going with? The NSR, VSR or SPR's? Or if there's another? Haha. I know the 127550's, which are the springs and phasers required stage II blower cams I believe, have some pretty good lope to them.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:50 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Americaniron......nice build up dude, you looking to run 10's now! How's the surf this summer? Spent all my college summers living on the outer banks. I love that place.

Guitars.....get hot rods or d rockers and you will be happy. It's nice to have those long term goals but your still in school. Big money is a long way off in reality. Enjoy your car now. You will want 4.10 gears for sure with those cams.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:38 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
I probably won't be going built and blown for another 6+ years. In the meantime, I just wanted a set of cams that I'd love to listen to everyday
6 years is too long and you can always sell the n/a's when you s/c.
Motivational Video for your entertainmnet...and don't be so sure of the sound quality being better with the hot rods bro,
listen what this guy gets with just muffler deletes.
Alot goes into the final sound at idle, the cam's are just one piece of the puzzle.

http://youtu.be/4aoZa19jt_I
Old 09-01-2012, 08:54 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

sounds good mayo. When I first had mine installed I had flowmasters and no cats. It sounded bad ***. Lots of compliments especially from the older generation. Id roll up to a hotel and everyone had to see what was coming. Exhaust will play a big role in sound.

Quick Reply: Cam Advice