Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I did it! I finally did it!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
Your post lacks any logic, the OP is talking about spending 27k on a Mustang, since he has a price point in mind it's doesn't make any sense to compare cars of the same year. If you had 27k to drop on a Mustang an 08GT500 is a very poor choice. Now if that car was say 20k, then one could make that argument, but at 27k the 2012 GT is by far a better choice. That's my point. I'm simply posting to give the OP a different perspective. He's about to drop a ton of money on a 5 year old car that had some damage, a car that is a relic like mine compared to the 2012, further more in a short year or so we get a new Mustang which will utterly destroy his resale value.
This is definately something to consider....but I like the GT500. I build a 4.6 version of it with my GT and the Roush
Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlopez07
Lol thanks guys. Fingers crossed everything goes well. Im supposed to go Friday, but Im gonna go by the dealership tomorrow as Im off from work and dont have class till the evening and see if they got my paperwork in from the bank. Liquiddale does make a good arguent though about the 12gt being almost as fast as the 08gt500. I would get a 12gt but the things Ive heard about problems with tuning and some of the things I've seen on the forums kinda got me unsure. It was compelety random, me finding this car.Its the only one they had, so the stripe delete is pure random lol. And to be honest I did question myself before I went. Am I only getting this car because it is a gt500? Would it be better to just get a gt and build it up? Then i remembered how much fun it was to ride in the gt500 my battery commander had last year. Nothing is set in stone just yet. I have a limit on what Im willing to spend a month (payment and insurance) and what Im gonna put down as Im keeping my sixxer(my first mustang and real car lol) If the deal goes through then Im gonna be one extremely happy person. (might even sleep in it haha) If the deal doesnt go through, then you know what, ill just keep looking or wait until something else comes up. Its not something that i absolutely have to have, and it is rare for me to splurge. (hence why my sixxer still has stock rims lol) But ive worked hard and have achieved what Ive set out to do so far in life, so I thought well...why not try, whats the worst that could happen?
Thank you for being open minded, my posts were designed to get you to think, I"ve been in your shoes before and have mad some dumb financial decisions. Young people such as yourself lack perspective when it comes to fast cars. A 2012 Mustang GT will out run a Ferrari 355 in the quarter mile, by almost a half of second and will even beat a C5 corvette. In fact it's on the heels of a 2002 Z06. Think about that, a heavy car such as the Mustang vs a two seat carbon fiber Vette, yet they run pretty close times, so close it would probably come down to the driver.

02 z06 1/4 mile, sec/mph 12.48/114.9

The 2005 C6 ran 1/4 mile, sec @ mph 12.7 @ 112.3

The 2011-13 is the best Stang ever produced for the money. Buying used you'll save a lot of dough, depreciation, have a warranty, won't need to mod it, looks great and most importantly you won't be making payements on it when it's 10 years old like the 08.

If the 08 was say 20k-22k max, then jump all over it but anything over 22k you are being taken to the cleaners. That car like mine, is OLD!

Here is all the numbers from Motor trend, seeing them all together you can see how fast a modern Stang is.

08 GT 500 - 12.6 sec @ 114.2 mph - Base price 44k
2013 GT - 12.7 sec @ 111.1 mph - Base price 35k
2012 Boss - 12.3 sec @ 115.8 mph - Base price 41k
2011 GT - 12.8 sec @ 110.8 mph Base price 30k
2002 z06 1/4 mile, sec/mph 12.48/114.9 base price 50k
2005 C6 ran 1/4 mile, sec @ mph 12.7 @ 112.3 base price 65k
1999 Ferrai 355 Quarter mile, sec/mph 13.4/106.8 Base Price 135k

Last edited by Fort LiquordaleGT; 08-30-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:18 AM
George_ORH
1st Gear Member

I have a 3 year plan to get into a GT500 myself. I currently run a 2010Gt and love it. I have chose not to mod it much and save that $ to go toward a GT500.

With that said, I would only be able to afford 2008 or so GT500. I drove one a friend has and that thing absolutely amazes me.

Something I would think on...
When they ask, " What is that?"
Do you want to say, " It's a GT.."
Or do you want to say, " It's a GT500 factory supercharged"...

Before someone says, " I don't care what others think".. Well neither do I, and I buy cars for what I want..
But when I roll that Garage door open and see a GT500 sitting in there, I go down the road and roll into the gas and hear that supercharger whine.... That is what does it for me....Cough...That's what will do it for me.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:18 PM
jlopez07
2nd Gear Member

Well guess its just not my time to get it. Went and talked to the dealer and somehow price jumped from 27,000 to 35,000 in a period of two days?? I was like umm thats not the price we talked about the other day. They said that was the special financing for qualified people. They also wanted me to put down 5k more than what i was gonna put down and only finance it for 36 months. We couldnt negotiate a price (aka they didnt wanna work with me) so I walked. Honestly I was already going to put down almost 50% of the car as a down payment. The apparent damage was from a truck that backed into the car from the previous owner. They replaced the fender and repainted the hood. Everything had been serviced. I asked about the clutch/transmission TSB and they didnt know anything about it if it had been done or not. Im actually bummed out lol. I was looking forward to taking her home. Oh well, ill keep my eyes open and maybe a 2015 mustang will be in the future for me. Till then i think im gonna focus on making my sixxer's appearance rather than go fast parts. After being in the gt500 it just wont be the same lol
Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Fort,Your stats from Motor Trend are from bad drivers buddy.
Most stock 07-09's can run from a 12.3-12.5 pretty easily.
Ive seen some run right below a 12.3 stock.

Another thing to consider.
When they tested the new 12 GT I wonder if the same driver was driving?
I wonder if the same track was used? I wonder if the conditions were the same?

Again you also leave out the fact that the GT500's engine has more room
to expand, AND is cheaper to add A LOT more power to it.
The GT500 can add 150HP for chump change.

Fact is the GT500 is faster out of the box, and has more room to grow and
is cheaper to mod, and the big power adds are simple and cheap.
If you want the car for the power of of the box, more and easier modding, then
you want the GT500.

If you want the better interior and perks to the interior then the 2012 is the choice.
And again the 5.0 is a strong engine. But it is NOT as strong as the GT500's and it is not as cheap or as easy to mod.

Both are fantastic cars.
Your choice depends on what matters to you more.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-30-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Well guess its just not my time to get it. Went and talked to the dealer and somehow price jumped from 27,000 to 35,000 in a period of two days?? I was like umm thats not the price we talked about the other day. They said that was the special financing for qualified people. They also wanted me to put down 5k more than what i was gonna put down and only finance it for 36 months. We couldnt negotiate a price (aka they didnt wanna work with me) so I walked. Honestly I was already going to put down almost 50% of the car as a down payment. The apparent damage was from a truck that backed into the car from the previous owner. They replaced the fender and repainted the hood. Everything had been serviced. I asked about the clutch/transmission TSB and they didnt know anything about it if it had been done or not. Im actually bummed out lol. I was looking forward to taking her home. Oh well, ill keep my eyes open and maybe a 2015 mustang will be in the future for me. Till then i think im gonna focus on making my sixxer's appearance rather than go fast parts. After being in the gt500 it just wont be the same lol

That being said walking away was a GOOD idea.
You can find one in great condition for less than 35k, and with
low miles. Sounds like those guys were just trying to stick it to you.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:12 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

The only waist is the waist of time reading Fort lickers posts!!

Last edited by 2cokeman; 08-30-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
The only waist is the waist of time reading Fort lickers posts!!

LOL I must say I have to AGREE with what you said here coke.
His advice on not breaking in a new clutch in another thread
was just silly.

I HOPE nobody who gets a new clutch listens to him and ends up frying their new setup and paying for a whole new redo just because of bad advice on the internet. That would be shameful.

Oh and what Fort said about the 2015 utterly destroying the GT500's resale value... umm..
o.k.. sure....whatever you say....BWahahahHAHAaha!
Fort you need to start changing your posts to at least be accurate or you are soon to be known to ALL as a troll.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 09-02-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:20 PM
OlPal
2nd Gear Member

Lopez I just hate dealers like that, they must be Total jerks....

I guess going with Liquordale idea, you could;

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe

MSRP:$36,890

Price Difference:-$6,339

Price:$30,551

Engine: 5.0L V-8 cyl
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
MPG Range: 15/26
Exterior Color: Impact Blue
Stock #:13372

You've had a while now to save a few more $$$$
2014 might be the last chance to grab a iconic Mustang !
Old 09-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norse1974
I sure do love me some grape kool aid! Hahahaha :-)
because the gt500 will hold it's value and has a cult status..
i would far rather a 2008 gt500 than new gt..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I did it! I finally did it!