Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with USB Port

Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM
fishingfever
1st Gear Member

Default help with USB Port

Hey guys... New to the Forum, but always had Mustang Blood.... Just bought my first one. 2010 Mustang GT... LOVE IT!!! Grew up around my brothers 89 LX 5.0 and finally had opportunity of getting my own. The problem i am having is actually embarrassing. I am not a whole lot into technology and all these gadgets now a days. I am very old school when it comes to certain things. I noticed that i have a USB port in my middle console, and i am trying to get my wife's IPOD to work on it. I have found a couple of things on the net that i tried, but still unsuccessful. I plug it in, hit auxilary on the radio, get it to Sync USB, and confirm it. Everytime I do this, I get the message unsupported device. I find it hard to believe that the IPOD is unsupported. I am sure it's something with me...lol... Anyone out there who can help me or is the dealer my best bet. THROTTLE DOWN!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Some Ipods are not supported. Ran into the same problem at Honda. If you know someone who has a different type of ipod try it and see if it works.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I ran in to this a few times when I was in the service department at the dealer. The files on the iPod must be structured properly, song title, artist even genre for it to function properly for voice commands. Also if you have "bootleg" songs on there they may be corrupt, and yes if it's an original iPod it may not work, the oldest generation that will work that I'm sure of is when they first were able to play video.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

My USB works great but I found it simpler just to copy everything on to a USB drive and leave it there.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:25 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

lol - wouldnt surprise me about the compatibility because Apple does have a lot of DRM stuff that Microsoft (SYNC) may or may not function with. I agree with the last post that its a lot easier to just copy the music to a USB stick and just plug it in and leave it that way.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:04 AM
fishingfever
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys.... I never really liked apple, and this may be just another example of why... Or may be my lack of computer knowledge... I will def try that usb stick and let u know. Now i have to figure out what a usb stick is...lol... So not into technology... Maybe now with this car i am going to have to learn... Throttles down....
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fishingfever
Thanks guys.... I never really liked apple, and this may be just another example of why... Or may be my lack of computer knowledge... I will def try that usb stick and let u know. Now i have to figure out what a usb stick is...lol... So not into technology... Maybe now with this car i am going to have to learn... Throttles down....
USB "stick" for the technically challenged is the modern equivalent of a floppy disk. Almost everyone I know remembers the floppy disk. The difference is it has no moving parts, plugs into a small port on your computer rather then sliding into a drive, and is much larger.

You will want to get one that physically has the smallest physical size possible as well as the largest data storage you can reasonably afford. Some USB stick or USB drives or thumb drives as they call them are not much larger than your thumbnail once they are plugged into the USB port on your mustang. You will want to get at least 4GB and no more than 32GB. GB is a gigabyte (pronounced gig-uh-bite...like "My band has a GIG...UH, i have no idea what you mean...BITE my shiny metal @$$".

Again, I would stress that you get the smallest physically sized one you can. It will be in the console with probably other stuff like garage door openers, survival knives, loose change, spare ammo, and baby raccoon heads and to boot, it will be plugged into that itty bitty port. The smaller it is the less chance of something getting knocked loose or damaged. You will pay more for a smaller one then a larger one. If you keep that console clear of clutter, you can feel free to put a physically larger one in.

Once you have one, you take it home, plug it into your computer, find your music files (mp3's [you pronounce each letter..emm pee three]) can copy - DO NOT MOVE! - COPY your music files over the the new USB drive.

If you need help with that, PM me and I can walk you through it. Don't worry about asking for help - I've trained 65 year old grouchy as hell truck drivers on technology before. The fact that you capitalized USB in the title of your post already tells me your light years beyond where my father in law and his buddies are! lol

Last edited by wcgman; 09-01-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Grabborange
1st Gear Member

So when you use the memory stick can you setup your music files with playlists and sub-folders and control through the radio using the Aux button? I have an 07 which doesn't have the USB port but I was thinking of installing one so I can use my Ipod controlled through the radio, but I like the idea of the memory stick if you have full functionality.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:05 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I dont know if you can do playlists, artist sorts and that sort of stuff on the non-SYNC equipped shakers, but I had no problem with it when I had a SYNC equipped S 500 on a Zune or iPod nano.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:12 PM
fishingfever
1st Gear Member

Wcgman... Thnx for that.... I am a little familiar with computer, but i am nowhere where i should be these days... I still get my bills in the mail, and yes still buy stamps.... My wife's family makes fun of me cuz i still have a flip phone... I try to redirect them off of that by showing them that its watrproof, doesnt work anymore... And fyi, i'm in my thirties... And also drive trucks...lol... Anyways, i did buy that USB thing and hooked it up. Works great.... Now i just need to find a place to downlod more music without getting piracy fines....

Grabborange, i hooked up that usb to the car, and it does look like it organizes it by artist and title. I tried using sync and it appeared to work, however i have to figure out xactly what to say for which song i want to play... Dont know if that answers ur question, but wanted to at leat give u that message....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help with USB Port