Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Mystery of the Magic Battery & Evil TPMS Fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:14 PM
HIS S-197
1st Gear Member

Default The Mystery of the Magic Battery & Evil TPMS Fault

This morning driving into work I notice a "Low Battery" Warning in the OBC, the LCD of the radio, AND the battery gauge turned red ON the L.
The warnings flashes as I am pulling onto base, so I park it and figure I'll take care of it at lunch.
There is no yellow battery light, so I absolve the charging system/alternator and figure it's about that time for a new battery.

::3 HOURS LATER::

I walk out to my car with a coworker at lunch to pull the battery and head to the nearest AutoZone.
There wasn't enough juice to roll up my windows in the morning but I decide to try to crank it just for fun and...
IT MAGICALLY STARTS RIGHT UP (with the battery gauge charged slightly below the middle)

We pull the battery anyway and take it to AutoZone to have it checked.
They say the battery is bad, so I buy a Duralast Gold replacement.
I install the new battery, and I notice the crank takes a little longer than usual.
I also notice the OBC now displays "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" with the yellow TPMS warning light illuminated in the dash.

Does anyone have any clue...

A: Why a new battery would cause a TPMS fault?
B: Why a new battery would cause a longer crank? (I could just be imagining things)
C: How the battery magically recharged itself without the car running?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Have you driven the car since? Sometimes it takes a little while to clear the fault.

I recently replaced my battery and had no problems.

Frank
Old 09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

****ing s197s.

I have no idea.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

When you disconnect the battery the TPMS will sometimes trip until you drive for a bit. The new battery may have been sitting on the shelf for awhile and may not have had a full charge.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

One thing not many people know is that when you buy a new battery, it should always be brought to full charge with a battery charger before installing. Experts say this will greatly extend the life of any new battery. Just sayin'...
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
Sometimes it takes a little while to clear the fault.
+1

Need to drive for some miles and the code should clear itself. If not, then you will have to look into it further. It's common for TPMS symbol to light up after your battery has died, jumped or new battery.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
One thing not many people know is that when you buy a new battery, it should always be brought to full charge with a battery charger before installing. Experts say this will greatly extend the life of any new battery. Just sayin'...
I had not heard this before - thank you, if this is the case this is great advice, I will give this a run next year when it's battery time!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

^Yeah, but be careful if you get a gel type battery (optima). Typical battery chargers will fry them. They will need to be charged with a trickle charger.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 AM
HIS S-197
1st Gear Member

UPDATE:

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
Have you driven the car since? Sometimes it takes a little while to clear the fault.
Originally Posted by danzcool
When you disconnect the battery the TPMS will sometimes trip until you drive for a bit.
The code cleared itself after the 30 minute commute yesterday. HUZZAH!

Originally Posted by danzcool
The new battery may have been sitting on the shelf for awhile and may not have had a full charge.
Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I had never even considered this but it is valid advice. I don't know if my daily commute is long enough for the alternator to entirely charge the battery, so I'll swing by AutoZone and have them fully charge it for me.

I'm still curious as to how exactly the bad battery charged itself without the car running, but at this point I'm just going to let it ride.

Thank you to everyone for the replies. I appreciate all the help.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H-H-YAH
I'm still curious as to how exactly the bad battery charged itself without the car running, but at this point I'm just going to let it ride.
It's one of those mysteries with no definite answer. One possibility is that since the battery was bad, there could have been an intermittent internal short. Or the battery could have been sulfated and some of the chemicals moved around a bit with the car sitting, due to temperature change under the hood or some other reason. Or it could be magic.