Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I've Been Screwed

Old 09-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default I think I've Been Screwed

Well, I think I've been screwed by this body shop. They wouldn't let me get the CS rear bumper even if I agreed to pay the difference, and now I think they're screwing me on my time. They made me wait 18 days to get the part in. Now, you would think that in that time, they'd set out a slot of time to work on my car - like anybody who is half decent with time management would do. So, I drop my car off in the morning - figure it'll be done in the afternoon. So, I drive by at about 10:45, and my car is still sitting outside. I drive by at 3PM - car is inside (I can see the open body shop door from the street), I figure, okay, should be done by dinner time. Well, I just called. They haven't even taken the new bumper out of the packaging it came in. So, what was the point of me taking the car in this morning and having to find another car to borrow? I have no damn clue. They told me it'd be done tomorrow sometime after 1PM.

So, yeah, I'm pretty angry. They've wasted my time - and of all the days - my grandmother died this morning, so emotions are already running sky high. I'm about to go down there, check in hand, and tell them either have it done by 7AM tomorrow or leave it outside with the keys and I'll take it to another shop.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

body shops can be incredibly shady. they micro manage and juggle a lot of jobs and often have to shift priority from one project to another, and deprioritize jobs they think they can get away with doing so.

my advice would be to get some feedback from local auto enthusiasts as to places that have treated them right and go to them in the future. you're already somewhat committed to this place, and emotionally in a bad place. I would give it a day to cool down and communicate with them a lot more clearly with less emotion and hopefully get it squared away.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 PM
CAR-15
2nd Gear Member

Did you go to the new shop by Hardee's? Miner's? Should have gone to Church Brothers. I thought you said earlier that you know someone there and was going to get "uncle" prices?

Sorry about your Grandmother.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CAR-15
Did you go to the new shop by Hardee's? Miner's? Should have gone to Church Brothers. I thought you said earlier that you know someone there and was going to get "uncle" prices?

Sorry about your Grandmother.
No, Miners was my SECOND choice. The shop that I wanted to go to is further North, and their insurance company wouldn't let me take it there. If I didn't clarify on that, there ya go
Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I am pretty sure insurance companies cannot legally dictate which body shop you go to ..
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
I am pretty sure insurance companies cannot legally dictate which body shop you go to ..
Ehhh, depends on how you file your claim.. The insurance company has a set list of shops that you must take the car to that are approved to appraise it and do the repair.. The other option is you can have an adjuster come to your house and look at the damage and cut you a check based on his/hers estimated repair cost and then you take that check and find your own place or do it yourself.. If you choose option A you have to go with the company they tell you to go to. If you choose option B you have to wait for an adjuster and run the risk of them cutting you a check that is not enough to cover all the costs..
Old 09-17-2012, 05:25 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

You get into a wreck that is covered - you get it checked out by ins/claims and they say how much the check is gonna be, then you go get the work done. Sometimes you get multiple ppl to check it out and report the level of damage so everything broke is recognized the 1st time around and you get the full extent of your claims money you are entitled to.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Essentially what it worked out to, after negotiating with them, was that I'd show them an estimate and they'd cut a check. Only one issue - my first choice shop doesn't give written estimates (I said wtf as well). So I went to my second choice, which I now feel is wasting my time.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

sorry to hear about your grandmom. deff all around sucks
Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

body shops can be incredibly shady. they micro manage and juggle a lot of jobs and often have to shift priority from one project to another, and deprioritize jobs they think they can get away with doing so.

my advice would be to get some feedback from local auto enthusiasts as to places that have treated them right and go to them in the future. you're already somewhat committed to this place, and emotionally in a bad place. I would give it a day to cool down and communicate with them a lot more clearly with less emotion and hopefully get it squared away.
You can say that again!!!!!!!!!! I ended up adding rental to my insurance, because if the insurance company is having to pay for a rental car, then they will be on the back of the body shop every day. Next time I need insurance work done they won't take a month to fix it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think I've Been Screwed