Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Save more and buy mods before new purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I would get the job and verify it's going smoothly first as well. I wouldn't wait a year, but after a few months you'll know what you're in for and have some money saved up.

do what you want with your money, just make sure you have some money before spending money you don't have.

probably not what you want to hear - but you can still have your fun, just do it in a responsible manner. everyone thinks they are getting a great gig straight out of college, but I know a ton who end up not using their degree at all and are struggling to find work, or settle for unrelated work that doesn't pay nearly as well as they thought.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:43 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I'd have to say C.. Anytime you can pay a car off it's great and you are ahead of others in life.. unless you have 0 percent interest then it doesn't matter..
Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Well the majority of people here have chosen to sit on it and I suppose I can respect that. Probably a safe bet although definitely not the most fun one. I have wanted a V8 since I was old enough to drive but maybe it can wait a little while longer. I'm just so used to having something to save up for and projects to do every month on the car that I think I'm having a hard time coping with a situation where I don't have a current project.

If I go with option D), I'll need a new replacement hobby for sure haha
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

you're in a cool position where you already have a really nice car. waiting a little bit longer wont kill ya. get a job squared away and let the good times roll
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
Yea wouldn't it? Haha. Im going to school for mechanical engineering.
Me too man!
Graduating this December from Georgia Tech myself.

Saving up more cant hurt. At least wait to get a good job and get a bit stabilized. Its probably a better idea to look into a house before a car seeing how cheap the market is right now.
At least wait for the 50th anniversary mustang and see whats up with it.

edit: until I read a bit more I assumed yours was a V8 based on the pic in your sig. You could always consider a motor swap. Not sure what all it takes but if you could fit a new 5.0 in there that would be sick.

Last edited by Shadow7874; 09-21-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Norm had it right...
Get into that job first and see if it will match with the near future market.
If the current morons in Washington remain after January, it's best to keep your dough handy in case the schit hits the fan.
Basically, prepare yourself in case you lose that job prematurely.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:41 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Get the job first, not just promises or hopes.

Then get the car.

Then drive it for a while so you can establish a semblance of a plan for your modifications. Stick to it as best you can, remembering that buying in haste or having stars in your eyes as you fill your electronic shopping cart frequently leads to buying twice.

I guess that's another vote for "D". Conservative, as you might expect from an older engineer.

Edit - it's OK to have some idea about the direction you're going to take, but don't even cast that in stone just yet.

Norm
I couldn't agree more with what Norm said!

Get the job first, put some time in it to make sure it will be a steady income, then go out and start looking.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:12 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Me too man!
Graduating this December from Georgia Tech myself.

Saving up more cant hurt. At least wait to get a good job and get a bit stabilized. Its probably a better idea to look into a house before a car seeing how cheap the market is right now.
At least wait for the 50th anniversary mustang and see whats up with it.

edit: until I read a bit more I assumed yours was a V8 based on the pic in your sig. You could always consider a motor swap. Not sure what all it takes but if you could fit a new 5.0 in there that would be sick.
Yea, I suppose it would be smart to save up at least until the 50th anniversary. However, when buying a model in it's first year, you'll have to be prepared for the bevy of TSBs and warranty work if needed... Also, if I'm with the same girl, she's got a bit of an issue with spending money on cars (like most) and to be honest, I was hoping of purchasing the car before she has more authority on telling me how I should spend money...

And Pascal, you may be right and I may be exercising my 2nd amendment right and hunting for dinner if it gets too bad haha. But if you're thinking of **** hitting the fan and being out of a job, I'll be one of the first to go under seeing as there's no way I could save up more than 15k within a year. Why not buy a fast car so I can get to Mexico in a hurry?

Norm, thanks for the advice. I wasn't considering purchasing a car before getting a job (or I'd have a 2012 in my garage right now), but I was definitely not going to waste too much time after getting that job.

I think I'll need a GT/CS rear fascia within the next year if I'm going to scratch my mod itch. 8 months without a single mod. I feel like a crack addict.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:32 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
I was hoping of purchasing the car before she has more authority on telling me how I should spend money...
No no no.. You must learn the ways of the force young one.. Ancient quote that has been passed on for generations and now you must know it..

Disregard wiminz, acquire wealth!
Acquire wealth, acquire power!
Acquire power, acquire wiminz!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Save up enough money until you know life will be comfortable and steady. Doesn't sound like much fun, but with the economy the way it is, jobs aren't guaranteed or to stick around.

Quick Reply: Save more and buy mods before new purchase?