Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 04:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How To: Add a sub and amp to a 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Hey Eric, welcome to the forums, here are my suggesstions.

1. Yes, the factory radio sends a "limited full range signal" to the doors. I say it in that way as the factory stereo does put out full range to the doors, however the bass is very subdued. If you ever want to see, go to the dealer and turn on a car with the base raido, no shaker..... its terrible. Zero low range heard.

1a. I would not use those speakers. Main reason is the way you want to do it. Even if you amp the speakers you put in, you will kill your midbass response. You would end up having to put in a high pass filter while at the same time trying to use bass boost, not a good setup. I highly recomend looking at a 5x7 or 6x8 solution. If you want to run seperates that will mean mounting a tweeter, however there are good coaxial and the height of the door speaker and angle makes it a decent place of them.

these get great reviews:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ne-SPR-68.html

or these are decent:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PI-PC.572.html

Just know that whatever door speakers you get, you will need to get adapters to make them fit. I ahve heard you can order the Ford factory mounts for the 05-12 doors and mount your own 5x7/6x8 but in 13 the speakers are part of the mount.

2. The signal going to the subs is the same on all channels. Tapping one of the highes is fine, however you could just tap the low input going into the amp and not use a converter.

3. IF you were going to scrap anything, I would say scrap the factory radio and install an aftermarket one with proper low level outs. However the dash kit for our cars is expensive, though it does add touch screen temp control
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

and now you have no trunk.

I went the other route.

"On order sheet, put a check mark on "Shaker Pro Audio"

Good luck, but dang, you have zero trunk left. I understand having multiple cars and all, but maybe I've gotten old (30) and prefer something that isn't so intrusive

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 11-29-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

eh, I'm 29, I just like the system. The BOSS is the "toy." I could have put the sub in the fenderwell and still crushed a shaker system, but this is what I wanted. My box aside, the point of this guide is how to install.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:24 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

I know, i'm not dissing. in fact I did exactly what you did in my ex's '06 Mustang years ago, and that's when I came to the realization that I am old. Cuz I literally have the sub and amp still that was in the Mustang, which later was in my GTO, and when I sold the GTO I pulled it out, and it just sits..

We both paid around 45k for our cars.. we can do what we like :-D

BTW, I like your car. It was my other choice. GHIG Boss or Grabber GT Vert with everything but Nav.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

lol, sounds like we bought our systems around the same time. The stuff I just put in has been carried over from my 07 Civic, then my equinox, then I needed the room so it sat... then I got my mustang and figured... why not? I still may switch it up and go with amp and cap on one fenderwell and sub on the other... I judt dont feel like rebuiling right now... and it does sound great.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:34 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

plans to upgrade the rest? the separation is really great on the Shaker Pro, but it lacks mid warmth and upper end crispness without being harsh. and real life to the sound. I plan on upgrading the speakers around it (the stock mids and sub are adequate) as I'm a bit of an audio snob and prefer quality, flat EQ sound that is balanced. where instruments actually sound as intended.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

its somewhere on the list, but performance mods are above it. This was just "happen to have laying around" mod. I also have a nice 4ch amp, but no mids and highs so its on hold. If I ever do it, thats when I'm going to rebuild the box and put things in the fenders.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

curious about your mods. have intake/tune axlebacks on mine. still change to a OR-H and then leave it alone till it gets paid off and then supercharged. :-)

Besides, I've already spent close to 3k on it already for mods. i need to slow down
Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

pulled my restrictor plates and did the BBK cat delete pipes. Going to do a tuner then hold out for my supercharger.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Eric L

I had the 10" and the amp that i took out of my other car, so i put it in rather that letting it sit. The reason i want to go to a true component setup is for clarity. The factory highs are weak, door subs are garbage. When i put the 10 and the amp in i was reminded of what a good system should sound like and wanted to finish it off. Since the 10 is tied directly to the signal going to the factory subs, i am not loosing anything or any of the range. it sounds so much better and over powers the door subs anyway so thats y i am thinking about taking them out. i need to upgrade the rest, just to keep up with the low end. I listen to all types of music and just want a good, clean, all around sound.

Quick Reply: How To: Add a sub and amp to a 2013