Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lights and turn lights still on after car is turned off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM
magiusavvail
1st Gear Member

Default Dash lights and turn lights still on after car is turned off?

I had a battery die on me completely not too long ago. Just got it replaced.
I started the car, cleared the codes, drove it a bit, and parked it.

I took the keys out.
I turned off the headlights.
I shut all the doors and the trunk.
I locked the car with the remote.

The dashboard lights, radio lights, button lights, and the turn signal lights are all still on.

It's not the dimmer switch, I have the dimmer set to the lowest setting.

What's going on with the car?
Does anyone know?
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 PM
magiusavvail
1st Gear Member

The "Door Ajar" chime sounds off when I open the door, too, as if the key is in the ignition even though it's not.

Oh, and it's a 2007 Mustang Gt.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Is it raining outside?

My button and radio lights stayed on one time after driving through a heavy rain. I just unhooked the battery overnight and it was fine the next day.

*edit* Mine also does the door ajar **** from time to time. It's usually right before a battery dies, but it happened to me a few days after I got a new battery. It's incredibly annoying. It's been fine for the last few months though.

Last edited by 07BLACKGT; 10-11-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The 07's are almost as prone to the water leak issue as the 05's and 06's are. If it's not a water leak issue, then have the alternator tested.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 AM
magiusavvail
1st Gear Member

I actually fixed the problem by resetting the battery and ECM.
However, I've come across the same battery drain problem. The computer flips up a "Check Charging System" warning. Both times that the battery fell below usable limits, the alternator has kept the engine running without problem.

Could it be a cable problem or something else?
Or is it the alternator that's not charging the battery?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The S197 charging system is a failure on Ford's part. It took them about 3 different model alternators to get it right.

The alternator and battery are of poor quality and design from the factory. If one degrades, it often will degrade the other. So if you're having problems, I suggest a PA Performance alternator and a decent, new battery and the issues should be solved.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

^What he said.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 PM
magiusavvail
1st Gear Member

I completely forgot about this thread. Which sucks, since the 07 has been in my garage since I created this thread.

I have two questions:
In regards to getting a new alternator, am I better off with the 130amp or 200amp PA Performance alternator?

Also, I had the stock alternator rebuilt once before and the guy who rebuilt it upgraded the amperage. If it was putting out more amperage, could that have effected the main power wire? I ask on the off chance it might since the 200amp alternator requires a power wire upgrade. Made me wonder a little. I have no idea how much more amperage they got out of the stock alternator. Probably not much.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:12 AM
Eric Langlois

Default Same problem - might see the problem

Hey guys,
Just went through the carwash with my '05, water came in the passenger side (and I mean buckets) so I'm guessing their is definintly a leak problem
This being said the dash lights stayed on tonight after I took the keys out and the car did not make the lock noise when I pressed the remote lock twice. I've had this car for 10 years, first time this happens. I tried playing with the clutch and something strange happened, when the clutch is fully pressed everything goes off like normal. Their is a spring release switch back their that seems to be malfunctuning. I took the battery out to make sure it doesn't die on me tonight. I'm hoping letting it dry might resolve this issue... have you guys had problems with the clutch module after it took some water?
Old 06-04-2017, 05:31 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

your cowl drains are plugged. there are 2. the pass side one is between the battery and engine on the firewall about half way down. the drivers side one is in same relative area. pull them out and clean them, likely plugged with leaves. the cowl space fills up and water pours into the cabin thru the cabin filter opening. the water runs over the SJB and caused all kinds of electrical issues. youll likely need to remove the SJB, clean all the connectors and reinstall. good luck

Quick Reply: Dash lights and turn lights still on after car is turned off?