Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharging my 2006 4.0 help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM
07grabber4.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jaallford
I"m not the most saavy guy when it comes to this stuff, could you tell me what a CAI is? Also JIMC what kind of suspension and tires do you recommend? Are fat tires on the back too much? What's the best exhaust as well? I'm sorry I have so many questions!
CAI = cold air intake. Fat tires would look good and find a good dual exhaust system on YouTube you like.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:43 PM
jaallford

I understand all the points you guys are making about trading in and getting a GT, but I'd just rather keep the car I have and get as much hp as I possibly can out of it, hence this posting. So please help me out instead of trying to convince me to get a different car, I like the car I have, and I plan on keeping it for a very long time. As to asking what numbers I'm tryin to get out of it and the useage-I'm trying to get as much as I possibly can out of it while still using it to drive all the time. I want to do some street racing and perhaps run it at a track as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 PM
jaallford

Originally Posted by 07grabber4.0
CAI = cold air intake. Fat tires would look good and find a good dual exhaust system on YouTube you like.
I've heard that borla exhaust is pretty good? I looked it up on youtube and it sounds pretty sweet with the 4.0 as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I want to do some street racing .
No no. Great way to lose the car permanently. Keep it at the track. Sorry, but a guy who is new to power mods, is asking pretty basic questions (which is fine), should NOT be looking towards using any new-found power on the street. Seems like a bad combination of factors. New guy, wants as much power as possible but no idea how to get it, and wants to use it on the street . . .
Old 10-14-2012, 02:12 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I've heard that borla exhaust is pretty good? I looked it up on youtube and it sounds pretty sweet with the 4.0 as well.
Borla makes some great sounding exhaust. Can't go wrong with them.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I'd put your $12k budget aside for right now and just start reading. Start in the V6 area, and as you read I guarantee any questions you might have will have already been answered. That will be your best investment. If you don't know what a CAI is and think street racing sounds like a good idea, you need to learn a lot.

It's cool you want to stick with the V6 though, I know how it is to love a car even if everyone else tells you not to. Best of luck to you!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:24 PM
JimC

Keep the racing at the track - the street isn't for racing, too many people uninvolved with your display end up hurt.

As far as exhaust. The best overall sound I had on my car was with the FRPP X pipe and the GTA mufflers. No drone and good overall tone. The cheapest set up is either an X or H pipe with the GT mufflers - good tone and no drone.

The Flowmaster American Thunder sounded great outside the car. Inside, on the highway, couldn't hear the radio and after an hour gave me a headache.

Do NOT remove the cats. No one I know who removed the cats on the 4.0 liked the sound afterwards, and there was ZERO performance gain found.

For suspension I had the FRPP struts and shocks and the HotPart non-adjustable LCA's and adjustable UCA.

As you start to buy parts don't get too excited about "this came off a GT500" and over pay for the part. A lot of people pay good money for the GT500 mufflers for example. But up until the 2010 model year the GT500 used the same mufflers as the GT with an automatic used. As suggested, do your reading and determine how to proceed from there, plan out your overall modding goals for the car and buy smart.

Last edited by JimC; 10-14-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:27 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I understand man, wasn't trying to convince you, just want to make sure you were fully informed. A lot of people foolishly throw money at a v6 only to wish they had just gone gt to begin with. If you want to purpose build a v6, knowing intentialy what you are starting with and what you could have done for the same money, then that is your choice, so long as you are informed I'm ok with it.

All that said, if you want something different and dam good numbers, consider seriously some turbo setups. You have the budget for it, and you can make some sick numbers, even with a v6.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

what you should really be asking yourself is can you afford to break it? Assume you spent your $12k on it and it breaks tomorrow, what will you do then?

I still wouldn't supercharge the 4.0. Swap in a 4.6 instead.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I still wouldn't supercharge the 4.0. Swap in a 4.6 instead.
That's a good option. Keep the car you love and swap in a better drivetrain. A supercharged 5.4 would swap in fairly effortlessly and a 5.0 could be done with some extra effort. At the end of the day, you'll have the car you love, more power than you could hope to have made on the stock V6, room to grow, and a fatter wallet.

Quick Reply: Supercharging my 2006 4.0 help!