Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat extraction

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:18 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Your hood does not look like stock for 2012 GT.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

It looks very neatly done and I "get it", but.......

It is sort of counter-intuitive in a "visual sense" to the function of a ram air scoop to have heat extractors right at the rear of the scoop directly in the airflow path of the RAM intake.

????

Just saying.

It is however unique and I don't think you'll see many people stuck visually on function over form...doing it.

And I'm all for unique self expression.

Last edited by Cruzinaround; 11-11-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 AM
011GT/CS

Its not a stock OEM Ford hood scoop, it would not work, but a OEM style hood scoop.

I chose this design since the hood scoop was non functional to begin with, wanted to make it functional, didn't want to cut any hood bracing, and wanted to keep water out and channel heat out while counteracting the cowl induction effect. Also, wanted to be able to remove (if one decided to) and install something different (shaker hood or another stock scoop). I could have cut holes and added vents into the hood, done that but had issues with water and had to cut bracing. And wanted it to be cost effective and turn key kit. Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

I just showed my son this pic.

He swears those vents look like the A/C registers we bought at Home Depot.

I actually had to double check.... But, he was serious. And correct. If that's the case then I say this was actually pretty clever.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

I can appreciate homemade innovation, but even for a prototype this just looks sloppy all over man. There just shouldn't be vents on top of a hood scoop, they need to be beside it or behind it at least, the pony and coyote sticker are an interesting idea but it just looks sort of out of place. Not trying to dog you, but it could use some work.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:46 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I like the looks of it however the vents should sit on the hood flush on every corner. Looks good I like it
Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM
011GT/CS

Default heat extraction

Originally Posted by Nunja Business
Sorry, had a "derp" moment. I was thinking in terms of getting air to intake and not the title of the dang thread!
Yeah,
No air intake just heat extraction.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM
011GT/CS

Default Heat extraction

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
I just showed my son this pic.

He swears those vents look like the A/C registers we bought at Home Depot.

I actually had to double check.... But, he was serious. And correct. If that's the case then I say this was actually pretty clever.
Nope, vents are actually carbon fiber upgraded vents for the black mamba hood.
Automotive grade.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:35 PM
011GT/CS

Default Heat extraction

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
I can appreciate homemade innovation, but even for a prototype this just looks sloppy all over man. There just shouldn't be vents on top of a hood scoop, they need to be beside it or behind it at least, the pony and coyote sticker are an interesting idea but it just looks sort of out of place. Not trying to dog you, but it could use some work.
Yep, the scoop got scratched up during fitting and tweeking. Vents didn't fit as flush as I hoped, but wanted to use an automotive grade vent (not floor registers) (lol) The mustang and coyote sticker were afterthoughts, just seeing how they would look. Like I mentioned I had vents on the sides on my 07, but had to cut hood bracing and had water intrusion. I tried to use automotive grade materials. Look at the black mamba hood, the vents are on top of the raised scoop. I was trying to convert this non functional scoop into something functional.
Yep, eventually going to replace it with a finished product once fully tested.
Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:38 PM
011GT/CS

Default Heat extraction

Originally Posted by whosniffedme
Yep, the scoop got scratched up during fitting and tweeking. Vents didn't fit as flush as I hoped, but wanted to use an automotive grade vent (not floor registers) (lol) The mustang and coyote sticker were afterthoughts, just seeing how they would look. Like I mentioned I had vents on the sides on my 07, but had to cut hood bracing and had water intrusion. I tried to use automotive grade materials. Look at the black mamba hood, the vents are on top of the raised scoop. I was trying to convert this non functional scoop into something functional.
Yep, eventually going to replace it with a finished product once fully tested.
Thanks for the comments. Sorry the prototype didn't meet your standards.

Quick Reply: Heat extraction