Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 GT500 Clutch Failure at 20,000mi

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 PM
yardstick

Clutches are normally wear and tear items....but, ask anyway. If there is something wrong with the system that causes the clutch to slip other than the clutch material being wore out, they just may fix it under warranty.

Clutches wear based on how the driver uses it, the more the clutch is slipped while engaging gears the faster it will wear. Full power shifts are also hard on the wear of the clutches.

If your in 5th gear at 40 and you give it gas and the rpms go up pretty fast and your speed gain doesn't correspond and the same happens when letting off the gas, then it's slipping. Pretty much if you drive a manual transmission vehicle you learn how the rpm vs speed gain corresponds and when you clutch wears out, you will know it.

Given your description, like everyone is saying...yes, definitely sounds like time for a new clutch.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Excessive clutch wear is a known issue with 07 to early 09 GT500s. The nodular iron flywheel has the potential to warp causing the clutch to wear. They have been known to suddenly quit working. There is a TSB for this issue, which you can read about here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...ch-tsb-10-3-8/
Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
Excessive clutch wear is a known issue with 07 to early 09 GT500s. The nodular iron flywheel has the potential to warp causing the clutch to wear. They have been known to suddenly quit working. There is a TSB for this issue, which you can read about here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...ch-tsb-10-3-8/

This^

A pretty common problem actually.
You need to get it fixed as a warped flywheel can damage your syncros in the transmission. You need to have them do a test for syncro damage as well.

The clutch and flywheel assembly is now being replaced with 2010 assembly on these vehicles.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Wouldn't a bad clutch be bad in all the gears?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

1. You've only put 6,000 miles on it, so there's no way of knowing how much abuse that clutch saw before you got it.
2. The clutch is a wear item, not typically covered under warranty.
3. You have mods.

Good luck getting this replaced under warranty, and yes, based on your description, the clutch is toast.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
Wouldn't a bad clutch be bad in all the gears?
Not necessarily. There is less load on the clutch disc in lower gears.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If you do replace it, go Mcleod.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:40 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

McLeod RXT FTW!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM
04AZUREBLUEMACH1
2nd Gear Member

Default Update

They determined that the root cause of the problem was the flywheel distorting from heat which caused the clutch and other components to fail, so it will be covered under my extended warranty (I bought Ford CPO 6 months ago).

So, if any of you are considering buying used, I will say that buying Ford Certified Pre-Owned has its advantages, assuming you get the price and financing that you want. FYI, I got a 1-year Extended Warranty and 3-year Limited.

So does anyone know why the TSB asks for the PCM to be flashed at the end of the install? I am going to go by and ask them to omit this step.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:49 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04AZUREBLUEMACH1
They determined that the root cause of the problem was the flywheel distorting from heat which caused the clutch and other components to fail, so it will be covered under my extended warranty (I bought Ford CPO 6 months ago).

So, if any of you are considering buying used, I will say that buying Ford Certified Pre-Owned has its advantages, assuming you get the price and financing that you want. FYI, I got a 1-year Extended Warranty and 3-year Limited.

So does anyone know why the TSB asks for the PCM to be flashed at the end of the install? I am going to go by and ask them to omit this step.
Glad to hear that they'll be replacing it under you're extended warranty.....but there's a clutch TSB for all GT500's built prior to Sept 08, so I hope you're not having to pay any type of deductable out of pocket. I only mention this because I've seen some extended warranties have deductables.

As far as flashing your computer, I'm not sure why they'd have to do that either, if all they're doing is replacing your clutch. I'd definitely ask them not to touch the computer, because you'll loose your tune currently loaded.

Quick Reply: 07 GT500 Clutch Failure at 20,000mi