Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ghost Cam Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 PM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Default Ghost Cam Tune

I heard it for the first time in person today, a co-worker has a 5.0 and it sounds good. He says it only works if the converters have been deleted or hollowed out. And man...I must say I love the sound. Two questions.....why hasn't there been such a "tune" for my model or engine rather 4.6. And does this tune harm the engine any? His tach was jumping from 500-1100 rpms...quite rapidly.. just wondering.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Can't answer the 2nd question but as to the 1st, there's no such tune available for the 4.6 because it has to do with the Ti-VCT on the Coyote motors, something the "old" 4.6 is lacking.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boothay
I heard it for the first time in person today, a co-worker has a 5.0 and it sounds good. He says it only works if the converters have been deleted or hollowed out. And man...I must say I love the sound. Two questions.....why hasn't there been such a "tune" for my model or engine rather 4.6. And does this tune harm the engine any? His tach was jumping from 500-1100 rpms...quite rapidly.. just wondering.
There is a ghost "lope" tune for the 5.0 Coyote. Some aftermarket tuners even wrote them and sold them. I do not know if they do anymore.
You can ask AM or Brenspeed, those were the two I think had them, but I am not sure.

If tuned right, the "lope" tune should not hurt the engine.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Technically there is a tune for the 4.6...but first you have to install the FRPP Hotrod Cams =)

I have the Ghost Cam tune in my 5.0 (from Jon Lund) and it is amazing!!
Been running it for 4 months w/o issue
From what i've heard, the problem with the original ghost tunes was that it was fouling the converters (hence why they recommend no cats with this tune), thus causing the back pressure that was blowing #8 cylinder. It was also widely speculated that SVT was in the process of designing this tune before the aftermarket tuners beat them to it (hence the cease & desist). So until Ford figured it out safely (hence the track key), they stopped. Now if you take all of that info and regurgitate it...How is it that Ford is offering the ghost tune thru the Boss track key w/o any of the aformentioned damage to the converters? Yes, i think they told the aftermarket tuners "You can safely do this, but you MUST offer it w/o cats, as the other configuration is proprietary to Ford".
That's my SWAG, and i'm sticking to it!!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 AM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Cool, well...lol...kicking myself a couple of more times for not getting a 5.0. Im officially jealous of that quirk, But hey..you have to pay the cost to be the boss. If I want that sound I have to do it the old fashioned way and "install" cams. My problem with that is the cost vs horsepower. Just dont add up to me, you would figure for 800-1000 bucks you could atleast get 50-60 hp not 35 - 45. Just Sayin...lol
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Cool, well...lol...kicking myself a couple of more times for not getting a 5.0. Im officially jealous of that quirk, But hey..you have to pay the cost to be the boss. If I want that sound I have to do it the old fashioned way and "install" cams. My problem with that is the cost vs horsepower. Just dont add up to me, you would figure for 800-1000 bucks you could atleast get 50-60 hp not 35 - 45. Just Sayin...lol
$20 per 1HP is a little steep, yes, Rather see that closer to $10 per. Was ready to pull the trigger on $3k in engine upgrades on my 07, then realized that my top end was still going to be less than stock on a 2012...so the $3k went towards a down payment =)
Have to admit tho...the cams sound really nice in the 4.6 and the "cool" factor is priceless!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 AM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Indeed, well it may be a cool christmas present. AM has the hot rod cams that I could just drop in.. for 700 with new phaser bolts..shipped. U=I would install them myself. I have the O/R X pipe with the flowmaster Super 44's to for the extra "UMPH".
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by steel pony
Technically there is a tune for the 4.6...but first you have to install the FRPP Hotrod Cams =)

I have the Ghost Cam tune in my 5.0 (from Jon Lund) and it is amazing!!
Been running it for 4 months w/o issue
From what i've heard, the problem with the original ghost tunes was that it was fouling the converters (hence why they recommend no cats with this tune), thus causing the back pressure that was blowing #8 cylinder. It was also widely speculated that SVT was in the process of designing this tune before the aftermarket tuners beat them to it (hence the cease & desist). So until Ford figured it out safely (hence the track key), they stopped. Now if you take all of that info and regurgitate it...How is it that Ford is offering the ghost tune thru the Boss track key w/o any of the aformentioned damage to the converters? Yes, i think they told the aftermarket tuners "You can safely do this, but you MUST offer it w/o cats, as the other configuration is proprietary to Ford".
That's my SWAG, and i'm sticking to it!!
I heard a little different story and that was that Ford wasn't playing nice with the aftermarket tuners (like AM and Lund). Ford would not let them legally unlock the tables they needed to make the car lope like that. Could it be because Ford was already working on that for the Boss? Dunno. AM or Lund could tell you for certain. There was a thread on the forum for this topic that AM replied to.

The first part about Ford not giving them support to unlock the tables I want to say was the issue. The rest is just my conjecture.