Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ford pre owned certified warrany

Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 PM
mikelieb1289
1st Gear Member

Default ford pre owned certified warrany

does anyone know if getting a an exhaust or even an intake void a ford certified warranty? im not sure how that works. i just bought a 2011 mustang gt.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Mod the bitch and enjoy the car. If a dealership doesn't want to do the work, they'll tell you that your farts void the warranty. Enjoy the car.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikelieb1289
does anyone know if getting a an exhaust or even an intake void a ford certified warranty? im not sure how that works. i just bought a 2011 mustang gt.
Not exactly. Basically, something has to go wrong first, and then the dealership has to prove that the modification caused the failure. They can't look at an intake during a service and void your warranty for no reason. Read up on the Magnusen Moss Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Our friendly Ford rep should chime in shortly. Enjoy your new car!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:14 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Yes, it's a Mustang, Giddy Up!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM
04AZUREBLUEMACH1
2nd Gear Member

Depends on the dealer. On one hand, they can void it for whatever reason they choose. On the other hand, they should welcome warranty work as FORD is paying them to do the work.

My dealer acknowledged my pulley, CAI, and throttle body while doing some warranty work on my car. It just depends on where you take it.

Worst-case-scenario, tell them that the car came that way when you bought it, make a big stink, or go elsewhere. I think you'll be fine.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Our friendly Ford rep should chime in shortly.
Doubt it. They are probably verboten from saying anything but "send me you VIN, name, etc.. and I'll escalate to the regional so-and-so..." for fear of making a public statement one way or another.

Don
Old 11-15-2012, 02:14 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hey mikelieb1289,

Installing or using any aftermarket product (like an exhaust or intake) will not necessarily void your warranty. However, if the product fails or causes a Ford part to fail, the cost of the repair and any related damage(s) are not covered by your warranty.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions. I'm happy to track down the answers for you.

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Not exactly. Basically, something has to go wrong first, and then the dealership has to prove that the modification caused the failure. They can't look at an intake during a service and void your warranty for no reason. Read up on the Magnusen Moss Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Our friendly Ford rep should chime in shortly. Enjoy your new car!
Originally Posted by 04AZUREBLUEMACH1
Depends on the dealer. On one hand, they can void it for whatever reason they choose. On the other hand, they should welcome warranty work as FORD is paying them to do the work.

My dealer acknowledged my pulley, CAI, and throttle body while doing some warranty work on my car. It just depends on where you take it.

Worst-case-scenario, tell them that the car came that way when you bought it, make a big stink, or go elsewhere. I think you'll be fine.
Thanks for the great info, kenthicken and 04AZUREBLUEMACH1!

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Doubt it. They are probably verboten from saying anything but "send me you VIN, name, etc.. and I'll escalate to the regional so-and-so..." for fear of making a public statement one way or another.

Don
Hi Don,

Glad to see that my hard work escalating cases is getting noticed! I do try to provide helpful information, too.

Have a great day, everyone!
Crystal
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

LOL @ Don.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Touche', Crystal.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 AM
caaraa