Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exedy Stage 2 Upgrade Info plus Trans build video.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM
beefcake
1st Gear Member

Default Exedy Stage 2 Upgrade Info plus Trans build video.

Okay,

I know I’ve been promising updates on the Stage 2 Exedy Clutch upgrade.

Been waiting for Kyle and the guys at Exedy to complete the video on the 6r80 trans.

A little background on Kyle House from Exedy. He started with Circle D around the age of 15 or so at the shop.

He has spent the majority of his life around transmissions and moved up the ranks as their head transmission guy.

He began working closely with Exedy and their designer Pat on clutch upgrades.

We started testing the Stage 1's initially for them. The Stage 1's only increase holding capacity by about 5%, however they do a great job on dissipating heat, which helps the clutches run cooler, and extend the life of the trans. For the average guy, only hitting the strip occasionally, this is a great upgrade.

For this year, they asked us to step up and test the Stage 2's. The trans went off to Kyle at Circle D as the initial Stage 2's needed some drum modifications to fit the clutches in and to allow the 40% increase in holding capacity.

The video I'm linking goes through the breakdown and inspection, plus rebuild of the trans. Kyle also goes on to explain how some of the various internal parts of the trans work, for those that would like to understand the 6r80 in general.

The good news is the final production kits, which are probably 2-3 months out, will not require any modifications to the drums.

Kyle (whom is now at Exedy), Pat, and the crew at Exedy have been working around the clock to get a kit to market that won't require you to ship your transmission across the country. When the final production kits are released, they will contain great instructions on the 6r80 swap, that your local trans guy should have no problem doing.

I'll keep you updated when the release hits, as I expect this to be a big seller for us.

Here is the link to the video.