Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D or Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Marky82
2nd Gear Member

Question Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D or Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

I live in southern Connecticut and I'd like to get a set of snow tires for my spare OEM 16" rims. The amount of snow we get can vary each year - two years ago we had TONS and last year almost none. I try to stay off the road when it's snowing badly so these will mostly be used driving through a few inches and the days following snow storms when there's residual snow and ice on the roads.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to two tires, the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D or the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70.

I think the Bridgestones would have the best traction but I'm worried they will wear quickly and also have poor dry/rain road performance. I normally take my summer tires off the first week of November and put them back on some time in March so the snow tires will be on about 4 months. The Dunlop's seem nice but the "performance" rating makes me think they won't be much better than regular all season tires. Both tires are about the same price (Dunlop's are $20 more) so cost difference isn't an issue.

What do you guys think/recommend? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You can't have it both ways. When the winter rubber is on, just don't hot dog it when it's dry out. As far as which is better, the ratings in the survey are darned close. I doubt you'd notice much difference. I think I'd spring the few extra $$'s for the Dunlops mainly for the edge in cornering, steering response, noise comfort and treadwear. But to be honest, either one should do just fine.

I'm glad someone that has to drive their Stang in the winter is showing some common sense.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I ran Blizzaks on my 06 and my M90'd '10. The traction was incredible and topped the studded tires I used to run on a 97 I once had. I didnt even have to start in 2nd! Of course, I rarely drove in the snow and ice but there were times when it was necessary. I learned how to drive many moons ago in snow and ice too, so I never felt the need to put on all 4 either, so if you are good in the poor conditions and know what you're doing, rears are adequate. Heck - I just went back to a 2WD F150 over a 4WD explorer and going to get Blizzaks today for a pair of rear wheels. As for the Shelby, it will never see snow or ice. Those F1 supercars have a hard enough time on dry pavement in the cold and it's not worth the money or risk of someone else like a transplant from Cali ramming into her.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Oh - one more thing. With the Blizzaks, the problem you might have is in deeper snow clearance issues. When it's lighter powder that's not really a problem, but in the heavier, wetter snow, clearance can be a real issue. We usually get the lighter powder here, but on the occasions when it's deep, heavy, wet snow, that can be a serious issue. As you know, just keep the car moving and pray you dont have to stop in those situations!