Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating Purchase -- 2013 GT Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 PM
JK 23112

Default Contemplating Purchase -- 2013 GT Coupe

This is my first post on this forum - just joined tonight - and while I am new here, I am not new to Mustangs. I have had four of them during my adult life, all of which were GT coupes.

My first one was a black 1988, followed by a red 1993 and then a white 1995. I had several years without one and then I eventually leased a black 2008 for two years (turned in at the end of its term back in January of 2010). Every one of them had a five-speed manual transmission -- of course!

It's a pipe dream right now, but I am considering getting a 2013 GT in the next few months. I am really impressed by the reviews I have read about the GT and from speaking with a few folks who bought one. The LED lighting is a cool feature, the 420bhp is nothing short of awesome and Ford finally saw the light and upgraded the transmission to six gears!

I can get what seems to be a decent "target price" on one through my credit union; and I have my own financing through them. I will not be trading in another vehicle for it, either.

Anyhow, if any of you have a '13 GT, I am interested in hearing about your experience with it - from initial purchase & the sales process to driving, maintaining and servicing the car. Would you recommend the GT or buy another one in the future? Is there anything you don't like about it? Do you regret your decision at all?

Thank you all for any replies!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Slammintone
1st Gear Member

I just traded a 2010 Plum Crazy Dodge Challenger R/T for a 2013 GT Premium Coupe Mustang. Couldn't be happier. The Mustang is exceptionally well made, very quiet, no rattles or other noises like my 2007 GT had. Gobs of power on tap at all times, just fantastic considering mine's an automatic. From a dead stop I can roast the tires on dry pavement with the traction control off (probably with it on too but I never drive it with TC on) or in Sport mode. To get 420 HP out of the Coyote engine you must run 92-93 octane premium. However, you can run 87-89 octane fuel perfectly safely but your HP drops to like 402-405hp. It's amazing the PCM adapts to whatever fuel you are running and automatically ajusts the air/fuel mix to run most efficiently with the least amount of knock. It's like having a built in aftermarket tuner! I'm getting between 17-18mpg but my engine only has 900 miles on it so far. I've changed my oil at 450 miles and went full synthetic. The car is a dream to drive. It's very well behaved around town, gets up to speed without any effort on the highway and when you're doing 65-75mph and floor it you'd think you are running a supercharger! My only complaint is the narrow wheels Ford still insists on equipping these awesome cars with. I would like to see a minimum 10" wheels on the rear and 9" wheels for the front. If Chevy can do it with their six cylinder Camaro's Ford should be doing it with all of their Mustangs IMO! Otherwise, Ford has the best Mustang ever made in the current 2013 model, whichever version you choose, and if the trend continues I'd surely buy another one or two!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Mob Bomber
1st Gear Member

I took delivery of my '13 this July. Can't tell you much about the purchasing since I'm military and bought it overseas. I can say I saved a ton of money and got a very good price on a GT Prem with Convenince Pkg and upgraded to 19" wheels with 245/45 rubber. I was only able to put about 1500 miles on it while I was home for my short time, but I loved every minute of it. This is my first Mustang and first muscle car and after doing extensive research between the companies, the Mustang was and is the best choice IMO. The six speed manual is OK with all stock shifting components. I instantly bought an aftermarket short throw shifter that replaced the entire stock unit. Improved the feel and response 200%. I've also averaged about 18-20 mpg city driving and was able to get 28 mpg on the highway. I love this car and can't wait to get back stateside so I can rack up the miles.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:48 AM
acctingman
1st Gear Member

At JK

Hey amigo. Listen! Long story short....

I've been wanting my Mustang for YEARS. Not one, not two, but probably 6+.

I decided to wait for the new 5.0's in 2011 but the finances weren't quite where I wanted them. Fast foward 2 years........

I JUST picked my "baby" up last night.

OH.....MY.....GOD

I'm a 43 yr old grown *** man and I feel like a 6 yr old kid who got his first bike, except this bike has 420 horses!

Get it. I hardly slept last night. The second I log off I'm hoping in her and driving....no clue where, just going to drive her.

She is SMOOOOOOOTH. Haven't driven a clutch in 10+ yrs and I haven't killed it....yet :P

Such an amazing drive. Best $ I've spent since my home (sorta) :P

DOOOOOEEEEIT!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

I had an 08 GT for about 5 years and traded that in for a 2013 GT a few months ago. For the most part if feels like the same car, but with gobs more power, smoother transmission, and better handling!

I don't like that i'm forced to use the Sport setting for steering feel when I turn the traction control all the way off. This is also forced in sport mode. If you just press the traction control button, stability control stays on and it interferes with sideways shenanigans lol I prefer to monitor my own sideways shenanigans but I also prefer the comfort steering setting in most situations. Comfort is light and feels quicker than sport. Sport feels heavy and is annoying when driving slow and trying to park. It feels fine for spirited driving though, and probably keeps people from over correcting since it takes so much effort to turn.

Also, make sure to get the brembo brakes, they are amazing! lol
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM
JK 23112

This old guy (57) thanks everyone for the replies. I am still in the beginning stages of being bit (yet again) by the Mustang bug. I thought I was "cured" when I turned in my leased 2008 GT at the end of its term......but perhaps not. I saw my first 2013 coupe (blue in color) last May right after Ford released them and the LED lighting really captured my attention.

My insurance would go up $300 a year if I sold my Silverado and got a GT.......and I would have a car payment again (Grrrr!!); so I just don't know if I can swing it right now. I'll have a better idea of things in another 90 days or so, though.

Again, thanks for the replies!
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 PM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

In short I would do it if it will not put you in a bind. Although the 2013 GT is an awesome car, if it eats up a majority of your earnings you will eventually grow out the euphoria and no longer enjoy it.

Do it.! Its an awesome car, and I doubt you will have any regrets.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:41 PM
bobtail45

JK...............this older guy (59) purchased a 2013 gt premium 6mt with 3:73's. Added the FRPP tune, K&N, FRPP sprort axleback, and will have my MGW shifter installed Wednesday. I have a small loan, but after giving most everything to the kids, figured I deserved it. By the way, it is far more fun than my prior 2006 c6 convertible vette, 370Z, and even my 71 ss 454 el camino. It has well exceeded my expecations.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM
JK 23112

Me being an "old guy" was probably true, but I am 47 - not 57. Sorry for the typo.

I may have to put this one on hold, but hopefully not for too long. I have a son in high school and my ex-wife & I both have tried to put away a few ducats for his college fund. We're in our busy period at work, but I am really unsure about the economy in the coming year; especially as I am paid by commission.

On the other hand, I doubt I'm going to be able to do this at all once he starts college. Pssshhhhttt!!

I saw a beautiful used 2011 GT 5.0 for sale; with just 12k miles......listed for $22,000. Nice ride, but not the right color and the 2013 is just so much better. I also want a six-speed, and it seems that most every car in this area has a slushbox.

Now I know that I can count on the MustangForums Brain Trust to steer me in the right direction. I will someday soon again be a Mustang owner!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by JK 23112
[color=blue]...Anyhow, if any of you have a '13 GT, I am interested in hearing about your experience with it - from initial purchase & the sales process to driving, maintaining and servicing the car...
Hey JK 23112,

Looks like your friends on the forum here have provided lots of great information for you to consider. I'd like to chime in and say that if you end up ordering a GT, I'm happy to track the status of the vehicle for you as it makes its way from the plant to your dealership. All I'll need from you is a VIN or the order number/dealer name.

Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any questions.

Have a great day!
Crystal

Quick Reply: Contemplating Purchase -- 2013 GT Coupe