Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
The Pony

Red face Lowering Springs

Does anyone one know (from experience) if I lower my 2013 V6 Mustang that it will change the feel of the ride. Will it be "bumpier"? I have 19" wheels on now and would love to decrease that gap from the body so that it'll look a lot more sportier.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If you get a good quality after market shoc and strut package it will ride firmer but not bouncey.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 AM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Pony
Does anyone one know (from experience) if I lower my 2013 V6 Mustang that it will change the feel of the ride. Will it be "bumpier"? I have 19" wheels on now and would love to decrease that gap from the body so that it'll look a lot more sportier.
The BMR lowering springs have the same spring rate as stock, but sit about 1.5 inches lower. You will need to invest in different shocks also though...the stock ones will go bad quickly if you don't.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

You will get some bump even with a terrific setup - there is less 'flex' with a lowered suspension so an uneven road or 'bumps' in the road will pass along more 'feel' to you. (There's bounce and bump, and there's bump and feel..) That said short of a really poor setup, you should not be 'bumpy' at all.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

How low are you looking to go? The lower you go ... the more you will have to add at the same time.

An adjustable panhard bar (to re-center the rear-end after lowering) and our heavy-duty upper strut mounts (to adjust camber after lowering) are minimum recommendations (not required, but strongly recommended) for the Ultralites, Sports, and Boss springs.

Hope this helps. You will see an improvement in handling with and ride quality with our Ultra Lite springs.

We currently have them on sale with free shipping.

Let me know if I can help provide any additional questions?

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 AM
The Pony

[QUOTE=bigstick;8095938]The BMR lowering springs have the same spring rate as stock, but sit about 1.5 inches lower. You will need to invest in different shocks also though...the stock ones will go bad quickly if you don't.[/

Thanks for the info. 1.5 inches lower sounds good; however, I may need to make sure it's not too low that it'll start to rub car frame driving over a speed bump..... say at Walmart.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 AM
The Pony

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
How low are you looking to go? The lower you go ... the more you will have to add at the same time.

An adjustable panhard bar (to re-center the rear-end after lowering) and our heavy-duty upper strut mounts (to adjust camber after lowering) are minimum recommendations (not required, but strongly recommended) for the Ultralites, Sports, and Boss springs.

Hope this helps. You will see an improvement in handling with and ride quality with our Ultra Lite springs.

We currently have them on sale with free shipping.

Let me know if I can help provide any additional questions?

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks TJ. Will do.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:30 AM
The Pony

Originally Posted by bigstick
The BMR lowering springs have the same spring rate as stock, but sit about 1.5 inches lower. You will need to invest in different shocks also though...the stock ones will go bad quickly if you don't.
Thanks for the info. 1.5 inches lower sounds good; however, I may need to make sure it's not too low that it'll start to rub car frame driving over a speed bump..... say at Walmart.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 AM
The Pony

Originally Posted by Simon1
If you get a good quality after market shoc and strut package it will ride firmer but not bouncey.
Thanks. What do you think about a 20 inch wheel to compensate instead of lowering?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:27 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

If you put lowering springs on, the ride will change. Depending on how low you go, it can get worse. A good strut/shock will help, but the overall suspension is going to change.

Originally Posted by The Pony
Thanks. What do you think about a 20 inch wheel to compensate instead of lowering?
Typically when you go to a bigger rim, you go to a tire with a shorter sidewall to keep the overall diameter the same.....so unless you're planning to put a 20" rim on and tall sidewall tires, you will not accomplish anything.

Personally, if you're wanting to get rid of some of the gap and keep the ride quality nice, I recommend something like the Steeda Sport Springs. They drop the car 1" up front & 1 1/4" in the rear. It's not an aggressive drop, but will lessen the gap you currently have you'll still have a very nice ride.

As far as an adjustable pan-hard bar, your rear end will shift alittle, but with the Steeda Sport Springs and the stock wheels and tires on your car, you'll never notice. However, if you go lower and change to a "wider" aftermarket rim & tire out back, you'll need to get one.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs