Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Forging Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I would just do rods and pistons with your overall goals. If you want a great machine shop to build the shortblock give Lloyd at Springfield Custom Auto Machine 703-339-4090 a call. His shop is in Lorton, so it's a little bit of a drive but you can just ship him your block and crank and he will ship the completed engine or you could drive up and pick it up. He can supply everything for the build, at very competitive prices. Lloyd does the engine work for many racers.

Earl
Old 11-22-2012, 12:47 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Yes, for your power levels a forged crank is probably overkill. But should you ever want to go with more power, would you really want to be thinking about opening up the engine again just to add a forged crank? Why not just do it all in one shot?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:45 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
A local guy, did you do your own work, or did you get a shop to do it. That's the bad thing about the Outer Banks, there is not a single shop like that here until you get to Virginia.
Even though I am a mechanic by trade, I had Brenspeed do the work. I have no garage or place to do it for myself, and I needed it to be done fast since it was my daily driver at the time. I just made a vacation out of it and went with my kids. LOL. There are as you say places in Va. to go to and it's not that far from us. JPC up in Maryland is also a good shop that isn't to far to go to, and they specialize in Mustangs.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:06 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
Hey Ken...how much power are you putting down now with the B302 and Whipple @ 20psi? That's the route I want to go in the future or maybe even a B326.
Hey Marcus, She is putting 648 to the wheels right now. The torque, and hp curve is very long and flat, and she is just a beast to drive. I could go with larger long tubes, and throttle body than I have now and coax a little more, but it's fine for me at the moment. Right now I've got the Ford racing 62mm tb, and Kooks 1 3/4 LTs

The B326 will be a great option if you go with it. It is only 60lbs heavier, and definitely a stout piece.

While I was in Indiana my Brother and I went with the Brenspeed gang out to the drag strip. Brent's mechanic Miles drove his own car with the B326 to low 10 sec time slips all day. He was running with stock heads at the time, and using a TVS blower.

I would have considered going with the B326, but had already bought the B302.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
Hey Marcus, She is putting 648 to the wheels right now. The torque, and hp curve is very long and flat, and she is just a beast to drive. I could go with larger long tubes, and throttle body than I have now and coax a little more, but it's fine for me at the moment. Right now I've got the Ford racing 62mm tb, and Kooks 1 3/4 LTs

The B326 will be a great option if you go with it. It is only 60lbs heavier, and definitely a stout piece.

While I was in Indiana my Brother and I went with the Brenspeed gang out to the drag strip. Brent's mechanic Miles drove his own car with the B326 to low 10 sec time slips all day. He was running with stock heads at the time, and using a TVS blower.

I would have considered going with the B326, but had already bought the B302.
How much did you pay for your install out there, it would be a definite option since I could by the kit from them and they would install it as well, and I know that they take care of their customers that come to their shop to have work done.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
How much did you pay for your install out there, it would be a definite option since I could by the kit from them and they would install it as well, and I know that they take care of their customers that come to their shop to have work done.
When I went out there, I had a lot more than the engine done, so you need to give them a call for an estimate. Call and talk to Chandler, and he will give you a break down on what you want to have done.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
When I went out there, I had a lot more than the engine done, so you need to give them a call for an estimate. Call and talk to Chandler, and he will give you a break down on what you want to have done.
I called and asked about *just* a B302 install. Out the door estimated cost about $8000 for machine work/parts/labor/dyno tune/etc.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

OP if you're looking for a shop to do the full job then call Mike Rousch at Mid Atlantic Perfromance http://www.midatlanticperformance.net/about_us.htm . He will return you a great car, Lloyd will do all the machine work. Mike is one of the best tuners around and has done most of the work on my car as well as the tune.

Earl
Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
OP if you're looking for a shop to do the full job then call Mike Rousch at Mid Atlantic Perfromance http://www.midatlanticperformance.net/about_us.htm . He will return you a great car, Lloyd will do all the machine work. Mike is one of the best tuners around and has done most of the work on my car as well as the tune.

Earl
Already been in talks with him, I will be moving to Richmond in a half a year so I will be close. He quoted me around 5500 installed however I could probably get the parts cheaper and avoid the mark-up costs.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Give Lloyd a call, he can get you all the parts for the RA and his prices are as good as anyone. Mike doesn't care on the machine work, as he doesn't try and bump up the cost, you can deal directly with Lloyd or go through Mike. If you deal directly then you just pay Mike for the rest of the job. I have always dealt direct, Lloyd has my engine right now. I had a phaser come apart, it got under the chain and jumped time on that side. So new valves, pistons and a rebuild. Not to mention that it knocked a chunk out of the cam cover and the oil spraying out caught fire, was interesting for a little while.

Earl

Last edited by retfr8flyr; 11-24-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: The Forging Thread