Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Forging Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Default The Forging Thread

Ok so I am going to be installing the D.O.B supercharger kit within a month and half. Well one of my worries with my car being a dd is, the rods withstanding the torque, I have researched this on multiple forums and the discussion is a minimum to find the basic information to help me. My plans since I bought the car(when it was a v6) was to hit the 500rwhp mark. With the D.O.B I would be close to 450hp. Most people are gonna say buy a shortblock or buy the whole rotating assembly. This will be a dd car in a city for a while as well. Since the crank is good for approx. 700hp, in theory I could get away with replacing the rods and pistons and would be ok. I would add other supporting engine mods as well, better oil pump, head studs, etc. I have checked a few mustang based shops and their prices seem to be pretty good, one was at 65 hr. I would pull the engine myself which would save some cost. For what I am looking at does this seem like a pretty good plan.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yes, it's a pretty good plan.

there are so many different ways to go, the hardest part of a project
like this is just picking one way and going with it. good luck with the project
and i'm looking forward to the build thread.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 AM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

I received one quote from a shop in Richmond, he quoted me around 5500 for the whole works however thats far and beyond of what im looking for.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

You can definitely get away with just rods and pistons with a qualified machine shop... but look at Brenspeed's black friday price on their B302!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
You can definitely get away with just rods and pistons with a qualified machine shop... but look at Brenspeed's black friday price on their B302!
I would love to jump all over that kit, however i just threw down money on the supercharger. I wish I had the knowledge and understanding of assembling the block, then I could just pay for the machining and balancing part of the process. However I feel comfortable enough to do timing and replacing valve springs.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:50 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I ran on my stock block for about two years with my Whipple set up. It was also my daily driver, and putting out about 500 hp to the wheels. I think you should be fine for a while on your stock block, and save up for a really good custom build down the road. I didn't baby the car either. I eventually went with the B302, and full build after saving up for a while.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:54 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
I ran on my stock block for about two years with my Whipple set up. It was also my daily driver, and putting out about 500 hp to the wheels. I think you should be fine for a while on your stock block, and save up for a really good custom build down the road. I didn't baby the car either. I eventually went with the B302, and full build after saving up for a while.
A local guy, did you do your own work, or did you get a shop to do it. That's the bad thing about the Outer Banks, there is not a single shop like that here until you get to Virginia.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
... but look at Brenspeed's black friday price on their B302!
It isn't that much lower than it was a few weeks ago...about $130 less. Nothing to write home about.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
Hey Ken...how much power are you putting down now with the B302 and Whipple @ 20psi? That's the route I want to go in the future or maybe even a B326.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

You can definitely get away with just rods and pistons with a qualified machine shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Forging Thread