Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed my BAMA 91R tune, I can't stop smiling

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
Frank, I'm sorry you didn't feel there was much of a difference. Did you sell your Bama tuner or do you still have it? I'd definitely like to get a Bama tune back in your Mustang and restore your confidence in AM/Bama.

Let me know if you still have the tuner and we'll take another look at your custom tunes. They may be some adjustments that could be made!

Shane
Shane, I plan on keeping the tuner for speedo correction if for nothing else. Wide open throttle is good but I don't drive it like that much at all. I couldn't tell much difference between stock and 91 street tune with my automatic. The race tune ran ok but I didn't care for the shift points when driving normally- too abrupt and hanging in gear too long. I was hoping for some better gas mileage, but saw no actual difference. Cold starts would have the engine feeling and sounding like it is missing/running rough until it warmed up some.

My main complaint about the stock program is with the downshift strategy. At highway speeds, increasing throttle, it will downshift to 5th, keep adding throttle and it would suddenly downshift to 3rd or 2nd. Why not progress through 4th? The BAMA tune did nothing about that.

Frank
Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

sounds like you don't push the car very hard and the main benefits of having the tune were just not adding value. I am surprised you tuned it in the first place
Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 PM
iamgone
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJSpags
My lunch break today consisted of getting on and off on ramps around town! ha
Spoken like a true car guy!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM
aero86
2nd Gear Member

i definitely like the tune on my v6. course i can get 93 all the time, and the station i go to is fairly cheap as well. but, again, it added a bit of pep.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJSpags
My lunch break today consisted of getting on and off on ramps around town! ha
Yeah, That's the way I felt when installed my CAI and 91R tune! Sure made a difference!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
sounds like you don't push the car very hard and the main benefits of having the tune were just not adding value. I am surprised you tuned it in the first place
I enjoy driving the car. I don't have to hot rod it to feel good about it. It's fast enough stock that I really don't miss the blower I had on my other Mustang. I didn't drive the other one that hard either. I suppose that's what happens when you "mature". I wanted to have a way to adjust the speedometer- that's a pet peeve of mine. I hate knowing it's off.

Frank
Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 AM
E_cox310
2nd Gear Member

So are you saying pushing your car hard at times makes you "immature"?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
jonb2

I've got a 2013 V6 auto and went with the Bama tunes and felt a big difference, even with their 87 octane street tune. I went with the 91 race and 91 street too. Don't feel a huge difference between 87 and 91 street at the lower rpm range so still deciding on which one to keep as daily driver.

They can also special order a 91 "hybrid" tune which combines the low end of the street and hi end of the race into a single tune...my understanding is that's actually supposed to make the most power all around.

In any case, I really felt a big difference in the shift points and overall driveability even with the 87 tune and I'm a grandma-type driver.

Jon
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
Shane, I plan on keeping the tuner for speedo correction if for nothing else. Wide open throttle is good but I don't drive it like that much at all. I couldn't tell much difference between stock and 91 street tune with my automatic. The race tune ran ok but I didn't care for the shift points when driving normally- too abrupt and hanging in gear too long. I was hoping for some better gas mileage, but saw no actual difference. Cold starts would have the engine feeling and sounding like it is missing/running rough until it warmed up some.

My main complaint about the stock program is with the downshift strategy. At highway speeds, increasing throttle, it will downshift to 5th, keep adding throttle and it would suddenly downshift to 3rd or 2nd. Why not progress through 4th? The BAMA tune did nothing about that.

Frank
^ This - Coming from 4 GT manuals to my first Auto - a 2012 GT Auto, this is almost exactly my few questions/concerns from driving it that I have noticed. Specifically the apparent downshift from 6th to 5th then seems like 3rd when needing to pass/accelerate at highway speeds. Can a tune (e.g. Bama) help with this? Shane or Bama guys - Any feedback/experience to please share?

Don't think I would have a problem with the other things (shift point hanging, staying in gear too long, gas mileage) The idle issue - maybe...

I notice Frank came from a supercharged car so maybe that has an impact on perception/expectation.

I also use it as a daily driver but like to do some spirited driving occasionally - not racing though - and would get the Bama tune if it helped with this particular stock shift strategy Frank describes.

Last edited by rogan01; 11-30-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 AM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

I tried the 93 hybrid tune. Its ok. Went back to the 93 race tune. I really like the 93 race tune

Quick Reply: Just installed my BAMA 91R tune, I can't stop smiling