Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your shifter linkage!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default Check your shifter linkage!

A crazy thing happened to me Wednesday night at the drag strip. I lined up for my first run and something didn't feel quite "right" after I did my burnout. The tree dropped and I launched, only to hear a loud "POP" and my car immediately died and rolled forward about two feet. Initially, I thought I blew my rear end (as did the track officials who helped push my car back into the staging lanes). However, after inspection, I couldn't see anything wrong with the rear end. I started the car up and was able to get it back to the trailer, but it was extremely difficult and sloppy getting the gears to cooperate. I was scratching my head going over the car trying to figure out what happened. I got under the car and realized that my shifter linkage was VERY loose. I assume that because of this, my car wasn't "fully" in gear at the starting line and I popped out of gear when I tried to launch. Luckily, I had a tool box and some loc-tite in my truck. I'm not blaming anyone but myself, as I'm 50% sure I just forgot to tighten a bolt the last time I had the transmission down, but I would advise everyone to check their shifter linkage every once in a while, because it would have been a nightmare if that had happened at 120 mph through the traps. On the positive side, I was able to plead my case to the track officials and get back on the track. Wound up having the most productive night at the track that I've ever had. Matched my best ET but with a better 60' and mph than I previously had:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/stre...ast-night.html

Last edited by Diabolical!; 11-30-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the reminder. I have has to replace bolts that have vibrated out in my PRO50. I probably should crawl underneath and give it a quick check. I haven't.done that in a while.

My motor mounts are different than yours but I lost 7 out of 8 bolts before I realized they had broke or fell out. It's a good idea to crawl under the car from time to time and wiggle and shake things.