Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Opinions?

Old 12-02-2012, 05:44 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

I can state emphatically that traction control was completely off, I had completed a solid burnout on my way up to the line. I was running on new 305 NT555Rs. I was walking up the RPMs to find a good launch point, I was getting 0 tire slip so I stepped up to 4500 RPM. When I left the line the car started to pull but then the clutch just let go and the engine revved to almost redline (tune raised that and made the limiter less invasive as well so that wasn't what cut out the motor) and I could smell and taste the clutch. The clutch peddle also pulled away from my foot. At this point the computer stepped in and shut down the car for about half a second. It may not have an actual sensor dedicated to measuring slippage, but something intervened at that point. So back to the original question, what are your thoughts and experiences with various aftermarket clutches? How do they feel, hold, general quality etc.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

clutches don't taste good at all! I have no oppinion on the twin disc, other than they are expensive and I don't like having more parts than necessary. I've never driven a car with one. Some complain of more noise with a twin disc.

As for your run, are you sure you took your foot all the way off the pedal? It only takes a little pressure to make it slip at that rpm.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-02-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
what kind of tires do you have?

Never heard of the clutch slip sensor.. I have 295 width pilot supersports and this stock clutch can handle their grip on the street easy.. Havent been to the track though

Also, how many miles are on your car?

Take traction control off by being at a complete stop, foot on brake , hold button for 6 seconds or more and it will totally disable it.
Geezzz! You have to do all that to disable traction control? All I do is push the button on my 06.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
clutches don't taste good at all! I have no oppinion on the twin disc, other than they are expensive and I don't like having more parts than necessary. I've never driven a car with one.

As for your run, are you sure you took your foot all the way off the pedal? It only takes a little pressure to make it slip at that rpm.
I understand the point about moving parts, but higher holder power with the smoothness of a daily driver is what is drawing me to them.
And yes, I am sure I was not on the clutch. I got this to repeat itself at 4000 rpm on the next run, and it finally grabbed at 3500 before I just packed it in for the day. It drives just fine on the street, no issues on street tires at all.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:36 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
what kind of tires do you have?

Never heard of the clutch slip sensor.. I have 295 width pilot supersports and this stock clutch can handle their grip on the street easy.. Havent been to the track though

Also, how many miles are on your car?

Take traction control off by being at a complete stop, foot on brake , hold button for 6 seconds or more and it will totally disable it.
Turned 20,000 miles on one of those runs that day. NT555Rs (305 18s), Traction Control is not the culprit, see video of burnout.
Burnouts+traction control= humiliating fail.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I bet that mercedes thought he whooped you good! The McLeod rxt gets a thumbs up around here. It is made for what you are doing. I'm not sure all twin disc are designed for hard launches at the track, even if they claim to hold a lot of power. I'd google the ones your looking at and add burned up to the end. I'm sure someone has smoked one at sometime.

I'm using a spec 3+, which a lot of people with big power like for the street and track. I have not had it to the track yet, but it is plenty smooth when shifting between gears, even downshifting it's smooth. Getting going in 1st smoothly is some what of a challenge though. It likes to get going fast and sometimes you have an old lady in front of you at the stop light. I have never stalled the car with it though, but I've spun the tires when I didn't want to and have looked like I just learned to drive stick half a dozen times or more.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

I bet that mercedes thought he whooped you good! The McLeod rxt gets a thumbs up around here. It is made for what you are doing. I'm not sure all twin disc are designed for hard launches at the track, even if they claim to hold a lot of power. I'd google the ones your looking at and add burned up to the end. I'm sure someone has smoked one at sometime.

I'm using a spec 3+, which a lot of people with big power like for the street and track. I have not had it to the track yet, but it is plenty smooth when shifting between gears, even downshifting it's smooth. Getting going in 1st smoothly is some what of a challenge though. It likes to get going fast and sometimes you have an old lady in front of you at the stop light. I have never stalled the car with it though, but I've spun the tires when I didn't want to and have looked like I just learned to drive stick half a dozen times or more.
See, now this is the sort of input I am looking for.
And the Mercedes guys who show up at MIR have some seriously fast cars.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Geezzz! You have to do all that to disable traction control? All I do is push the button on my 06.
Haha was thinking this exactly when I read OP's post. That's progress for you, I guess.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I went from a SPEC II to a McLeod RXT. The SPEC II held fine for a long time at the track. My power level just eventually out grew the clutch. The reason I will never buy SPEC again is their customer service. Don't bother calling them with any tech questions. They will jump down your throat defensively (they assume you have a problem and want to blame it on them). McLeod has been the exact opposite. Amazing customer service and amazing clutch. I'm never going back. The twin disc is so easy to drive on the street and stands up to insane abuse at the track. (I have the RXT, can't comment on the RST, but people seem to be just as happy with it.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Opinions?