Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Questions about BAMA tunes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default 2 Questions about BAMA tunes

First - I have a 2012 GT Automatic

1. I have read mention of a Bama "torque tune". Any info on what that is? - I have only seen street, performance and race tunes offered.

2. Which tune, if any, would be best to help when shifting an auto at highway speed (60 - 65) to accelerate to pass. For example, the stock tune (remember this is an auto) seems to shift to 5th at first and then upon further depressing the accelerator, seems to shift to maybe 3rd. (note: i come from 4 manual gts so still learning the auto shift characteristics) - no way to tell for sure if this happens -it just feels that way. Any way a Bama (or other) tune can adjust this shifting behavior?

Thanks to all for your help.

Last edited by rogan01; 12-02-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:50 AM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

My auto acts the same way and I hate that. The BAMA tunes do nothing to correct that. Right now I am back to stock. Race tune upshifts too abruptly during normal driving, street tune isn't much different to stock as far as I can tell. Maybe they are manual drivers, but a lot of people on here rave about these tunes. Wide open throttle with the race tune is pretty good, but when you use it .05% of the time, it's not worth it the rest of the time.

I've never heard about the torque tune and it wasn't offered when I ordered my tuner.

Frank
Old 12-02-2012, 04:23 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

If u supercharge ur car that's something u will not want to do all the time. But if ur just tuned then ur alright. You start increasing power and it can be catastrophic. If ur gonna be doing some spirited driving dont let the car shift into OD
Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
My auto acts the same way and I hate that. The BAMA tunes do nothing to correct that. Right now I am back to stock. Race tune upshifts too abruptly during normal driving, street tune isn't much different to stock as far as I can tell. Maybe they are manual drivers, but a lot of people on here rave about these tunes. Wide open throttle with the race tune is pretty good, but when you use it .05% of the time, it's not worth it the rest of the time.

I've never heard about the torque tune and it wasn't offered when I ordered my tuner.

Frank
Hey don't mean to hijack the thread but I've been looking into getting a tuner as well and you're the first person with a 2013 to mention having one - Do you think it's worth the money for the tuner? Is it true it gives a huge mpg increase? I didn't get my 2013 GT for gas mileage, but if spending $350-ish on a tuner is going to net me an extra 5-ish mpg on the highway, I'd be crazy not to buy one
Old 12-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spork3245
... Is it true it gives a huge mpg increase? I didn't get my 2013 GT for gas mileage, but if spending $350-ish on a tuner is going to net me an extra 5-ish mpg on the highway, I'd be crazy not to buy one
I think you're crazy just thinking that a tune for performance will improve fuel mileage. You can get an economy tune which MAY give you a few more miles/gallon but those Yugo's will be blowing your doors off.

A good custom tune on the 5.0 is good for about 35-40 RWHP. Forget about improving fuel mileage with hardware or software. The foot can affect mileage more than anything else.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spork3245
Hey don't mean to hijack the thread but I've been looking into getting a tuner as well and you're the first person with a 2013 to mention having one - Do you think it's worth the money for the tuner? Is it true it gives a huge mpg increase? I didn't get my 2013 GT for gas mileage, but if spending $350-ish on a tuner is going to net me an extra 5-ish mpg on the highway, I'd be crazy not to buy one
I am disappointed to see absolutely no improvement in mileage. (Previous experience with my '08 while it was still stock showed a gain of 2 or so mpg.) Took a 700 mile trip with the 91 performance tune and it did almost exactly what the stock tune did (25-26 mpg). I have reloaded the 91 perf. tune and will drive it like this for a while. The race tune changes the shifting but under normal driving conditions, the shifts are jerky.

Is it worth the money? ($380) Probably not. I do like the ability to correct the speedometer if I change tires. They asked what tires are on the car and it is within 1-1.5 mph so I won't mess with it right now.

Frank

Last edited by duckbubbles; 12-02-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I have an auto too and I suggest getting a tune from Shaun over @ AED. He is one of, if not the best tuner for the 5.0s. I have his auto tune along with steeda and I like both. The AED tune does as it should as far as downshifting and holds gears the way it should without the harsh harsh upshifts. The steeda is good but doesnt hold the gears long enough, but is a very very smooth tune that almost feels stock except for the revised shift points and until you step on it. I have not tried BAMA yet but I was considering giving them a try. If you do try them let us know what you think but my suggestion would be AED or Steeda
Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

A performance tune is just that & nothing else. Easing up on the skinny pedal will do what you are wanting to achieve without tuning. I bought a Mustang for performance and have tuned it accordingly. A Focus yields much more in the way of better MPGs.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rogan01
First - I have a 2012 GT Automatic

1. I have read mention of a Bama "torque tune". Any info on what that is? - I have only seen street, performance and race tunes offered.
Back when I purchased mine, they were selling "torque" and "race". Now it seems they've done away with the former and spun off a third (or probably branched the "torque" tune into "street" and "performance", with some changes between the two).
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I think you're crazy just thinking that a tune for performance will improve fuel mileage.
Considering the tuners I've used on my previous two stangs gave both an increase in performance and a 2-3mpg increase... No, I'm not crazy.
The reason I ask is because there's a handful of reviews at American Muscle that claim going from an avg of 22-23mpg on the highway to 28ish... Again, I didn't get a GT for high mpgs, nor did I buy my previous ones for mpgs, but if I received an increase in rwhp AND an increase in mpg *that* high it would make for one hell of a Christmas present to myself
Just to be clear, as you obviously misunderstood my inquery, I would not now or ever accept lower performance in my GT for an increase in mpg - I was asking if the tuner offered an increase in performance while also raising mpg.

Last edited by Spork3245; 12-02-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 2 Questions about BAMA tunes