Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got the Borla Touring Exhaust -

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

your name says it all if you wanted loud you should of just gotten a GT!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
You should definitely look into a High-flow catted mid-pipe. IMO, that's what the Borla Touring mufflers need to sound really good. Not to mention you'll pick up a little power as well. Another option is an Off Road Mid-pipe, but you'll definitely need a tune for that and may have issues passing emissions in your County (if you have emissions).

Bottom line- IMO, I think you should hold onto them and see what they sound like with an aftermarket mid-pipe. I have a feeling that will produce just the sound you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Is a mid-pipe the same as an X pipe?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM
OldHotRodder

I have the touring on my GT. I originally had the Ataks which were the best sounding exhaust I've ever had. After adding headers, cams, and a Stage 2 Roush my Stang sounded like a Pro Stock, ear bleeding. I swapped to the Touring and they are even loud. Like said before add an x pipe and I think they'll be just right!

B
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM
shouldhavegottheGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OldHotRodder
I have the touring on my GT. I originally had the Ataks which were the best sounding exhaust I've ever had. After adding headers, cams, and a Stage 2 Roush my Stang sounded like a Pro Stock, ear bleeding. I swapped to the Touring and they are even loud. Like said before add an x pipe and I think they'll be just right!

B
I have no other mods except for the exhaust. I'll look into the CAI and X-pipe to open it up a little more.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I have no other mods except for the exhaust. I'll look into the CAI and X-pipe to open it up a little more.
Adding headers and or a midpipe will change the tone and make it louder. Like others mine got so loud I had to quiet it down. I would try a new midpipe before selling it.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
Ahhh.. it's tolerable.
Truuuuuuuuue

Yes, an X pipe is a type of mid-pipe.

A mid-pipe is the pipe that runs in the "middle" of the exhaust, connecting the headers (manifolds) to the cat-back (i.e. your borla touring).

There are X and H pipe designs available for your car.

H pipes give a deeper, rumbly tone. Your car comes from the factory with an H pipe.

X pipes give a more higher pitched, raspy, exoticish sound. X pipes are generally thought to flow better and produce more power (minimal) than H pipes.

Hi-Flow cats will definitely increase the noise level, as they are less restrictive as the factory cats. You can get them already installed in a new mid-pipe, which will be advertised as a "High Flow catted" X or H. You can also just buy hi-flow cats and have an exhaust shop weld them onto your factory H pipe in place of the stock cats.

Or you could go with no cats, otherwise known as "off-road" pipes. All hell breaks loose in that situation.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Just my 2 cents....they are new mufflers yes? Let them break in before you pull them off. The mufflers should get alittle louder after a few hundered miles. But like Borla states in their videos "The Tourining is for people that dont want to really hear their exhaust until they step on it."

Matthew
Old 12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT

Yes, an X pipe is a type of mid-pipe.

A mid-pipe is the pipe that runs in the "middle" of the exhaust, connecting the headers (manifolds) to the cat-back (i.e. your borla touring).

There are X and H pipe designs available for your car.

H pipes give a deeper, rumbly tone. Your car comes from the factory with an H pipe.

X pipes give a more higher pitched, raspy, exoticish sound. X pipes are generally thought to flow better and produce more power (minimal) than H pipes.

Hi-Flow cats will definitely increase the noise level, as they are less restrictive as the factory cats. You can get them already installed in a new mid-pipe, which will be advertised as a "High Flow catted" X or H. You can also just buy hi-flow cats and have an exhaust shop weld them onto your factory H pipe in place of the stock cats.

Or you could go with no cats, otherwise known as "off-road" pipes. All hell breaks loose in that situation.

OP,

07BLACKGT has everything down correctly. Sorry I didn't clarify Mid-pipes from the beginning. If you still have more questions, shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you within 24 business hours!

Shane
Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Kriggans
Former Sponsor

Default Hi from Borla

All I can say is ehhh...

It is alright, I know some people love it, others not so much. I am in the latter. I was expecting more. I wanted something loud but not obnoxious. These can get pretty loud but only when you stomp on them. Just cruising and at idle, it sounds slightly better than stock. I always drive home with the radio blasting. Today, no radio and I just listened to the exhaust through 30 miles of rush hour traffic. Definitely no droning at all, but also no sound. I picked my friend up who is a muscle car enthusiast, who owns a new Camaro, he didnt even notice the exhaust. I did not really get on it too much, but still.

Not sure what to do next. These things aren't cheap. Guess I have to live with it for awhile. Let me know what you guys think. Maybe it will grow on me. Thanks!
Hi ShouldHave,
Our Touring mufflers are the most mellow exhaust option we make for your Mustang. I would look into the mid-pipes others have been suggesting. Or sell your Touring mufflers and pick up our S-Type or ATAK mufflers; perhaps you can find them used if you don't want to break the bank with another set of new parts.

If you're still not sure which direction to go, please give me a call & we'll chat out your options. My name is Chris Higgins & my direct line is 805-246-6000. Thanks & make it a good one!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Is this exhaust similar to the GT500 exhaust in tone/volume, etc,? Anyone compare them side by side?

Quick Reply: Just got the Borla Touring Exhaust -