Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 05:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Mounting options for Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM
AntoThoro

Default Mounting options for Radar Detectors

Where have you guys mounted your radar detectors?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

We have a Passport 9500 hard wired under the rearview mirror with the Blend Mount. Overall it's nice, but periodically have to re-tighten one of the allen screws as they tend to loosten...I could put loctite on it but haven't gotten that far, not really a big hassle. I'll dig a pic up when I get off work.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:28 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

Using the suction cup mount, low in the center of the windshield.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I have mine mounted to the overhead panel for the map lights. It's perfect between the mirror and the map lights. It's an old POS Cobra Detector but it still works. I used double sided 3M squares. In the summer time it does tend to fall sometimes. Maybe twice last summer. I too will take pics when I get home.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:28 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by waykooljr
Using the suction cup mount, low in the center of the windshield.
Same here. I just have the cord laying on the dash. I hate having the power cord hanging from up above. Mine sets low on the dash. With tinted windows & a black interior it is hard to see at night as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Blammo.

497e1ae3.jpg?t=1328581236

Don't have a pic up close with the headliner in, but it's super clean. No need to buy any mounts and doesn't obstruct the view out!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

Mounted my Redline below the rear view mirror using the Blendmount and wired to the mirror using a Versa Cord. Works great and easy to install!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Blammo.

Don't have a pic up close with the headliner in, but it's super clean. No need to buy any mounts and doesn't obstruct the view out!
do you have a write up on this? ive been meaning to do it for a while
Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

It's been so long I don't even remember lol. I either wired it to the map lights or auto dimming mirror.

I'll try to explain how I did it though.

First - I found a random fat screw laying around that fit in one of the holes in the roof. I wrapped my ground wire around this screw, then screwed it into the hole in the roof. You can see this illustrated on the left side of the picture I posted above.

(This is probably a ****ty ground, and any kind of electrical engineer would shout at my face, but it has worked great for me.)

Next, I turned on the car ignition to accessory mode. This way the power is on to the mirror and map light area.

Alright, now see the connector that powers the map lights?

I found a pic of it online.

The gray connector thing.

Now, take your detector's power wire and insert it into each hole on the end of the gray connector. When you insert the wire into these holes, the wires will make contact and your detector will turn on for the wires that can power it.

After you found a hole/wire that turns on the detector, turn off the ignition and see if the detector powers down.

After you find a wire that powers the detector with the key on and shuts off power when the key is off, you can splice into that wire using one of these great things:

You can find them everywhere. I got them at my local auto parts store. Slip the wires you want to splice into this thing, push the top down, then wrap it with electrical tape.

Tape wires to roof,

DONE.

Also I should probably let you know that I know absolutely nothing about electrical work. I know my V1 came with a hardwiring harness. I don't know if it did anything with the voltage. . . there is definitely a much better way to do this than the way I did it. I would seriously not recommend doing this my way unless you have a V1 with the supplied hardwire adapter thing.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Pointless to have a Radar Detector in MD, PA, DE, or VA

VA = Illegal
MD = Use of Laser and unless someone is in front of you, they got you before the damn thing goes off.
PA = Vascar... nothing detects it that I am aware of at this time.
DE = Mix of Laser, Vascar

Quick Reply: Mounting options for Radar Detectors