Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine wont start please help!!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 PM
sharony1994
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine wont start please help!!!!

Yesterday my car began making a weird clicking sound from the engine. I took the car to the mechanic today and he said that one of my engine lifters is what is causing the problem. I just wanted a second look at it, maybe someone experienced the same issue and might know what i can do. So far my mechanic has added 2 Quarts of oil and 1 Quart of lucas heavy duty. He said that i should drive the car for the next two days and the lucas will make the lifter open up again, and if it doesn't to return. Another thing to mention as i give it gas the clicking sound gets louder and louder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h8-Y...ature=youtu.be

This morning i turned on the car at the rpm's where all over the place from 600-1500 jumping around. The engine sounded like it was going to die, i got scared and turned it off the second time around it wouldnt start. Please someone help i really dont knot what to do
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Maybe a bad alternator?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM
sharony1994
2nd Gear Member

Old 01-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If it IS aplugged lifter, and if the Lucas Oil works like Rislone does, then you may stand a chance of resolving the issue. I've been lucky enough to have Rislone free-up a sticky lifter in 2 older engines. If it DOES clear it up, do an immediate oil/filter change and then be sure to put some good highway miles on the car a few times, then change the oil and filter again within 1k or 2k miles.

Question: How often and what brand/type of oil are you using? If the lifter was plugged, you may be changing your oil improperly.

As far as the no start, does it crank or just nothing?
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

possible bad cam phaser? I was thinking the vct solenoid might be bad, but the cam phaser going bad is what causes a knock. It could still be the vct solenoid and that's way cheaper and easier to replace than a phaser. Maybe a bad vct solenoid causes the cam phaser to make noise.

Last edited by moosestang; 01-09-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Hopefully it's just a bad cam phaser and not what this turned out to be.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...-noise-486428/
Old 01-09-2013, 05:37 PM
sharony1994
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
If it IS aplugged lifter, and if the Lucas Oil works like Rislone does, then you may stand a chance of resolving the issue. I've been lucky enough to have Rislone free-up a sticky lifter in 2 older engines. If it DOES clear it up, do an immediate oil/filter change and then be sure to put some good highway miles on the car a few times, then change the oil and filter again within 1k or 2k miles.

Question: How often and what brand/type of oil are you using? If the lifter was plugged, you may be changing your oil improperly.

As far as the no start, does it crank or just nothing?
The weird thing is my engine light on has not lite up yet. The first time i tried starting it, it cranked now it does not crank at all. the oil i use is 10w-40 i know its not the right oil but mechanic said it works best for the season.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sharony1994
The weird thing is my engine light on has not lite up yet. The first time i tried starting it, it cranked now it does not crank at all. the oil i use is 10w-40 i know its not the right oil but mechanic said it works best for the season.
Works best for the season? I'm not sure what that means. If anything, 10w30 works best for a car that only sees 2 seasons, spring and summer!

If it's not cranking, then your battery is dead or the engine locked up.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Do these cars even have lifters? I thought that was a pushrod engine component.

And no offense but your "mechanic" sounds like an idiot. his solution was to add 3 quarts of oil. Was the oil level low, did you remove some, or just add it to the existing oil? and why would you run anything other than what ford recommends for oil weight for normal driving

Last edited by PNYXPRESS; 01-10-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Do these cars even have lifters? I thought that was a pushrod engine component.

And no offense but your "mechanic" sounds like an idiot. his solution was to add 3 quarts of oil. Was the oil level low, did you remove some, or just add it to the existing oil? and why would you run anything other than what ford recommends for oil weight for normal driving
Ford's 5w20 recommendation is for fuel economy, not engine longevity, but 10w40 is not necessary for every day driving.

I would dump that oil and add 6 quarts of 5w30.

We have lash adjusters and I don't think they get stuck, they just stop working correctly.

Last edited by moosestang; 01-10-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine wont start please help!!!!