Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A-pillar weatherstrip replacement - Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 AM
mike_d

Default A-pillar weatherstrip replacement - Water Leak

I had noticed the weatherstripping under the A-pillar starting to pop out a bit and finally tearing. It's been raining a bit recently, so now I'm starting to get water in the car.

Has anybody had experience with removal, replacement, and getting the part?

This seems to be related to TSB 07-14-6.

-Mike
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM
ZombieHuntr
1st Gear Member

Its a pretty straight forward job to replace that. Only take ya 5 minutes. Its happened to me on both of my previous mustangs. (90gt & 95gt)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 AM
mike_d

Originally Posted by ZombieHuntr
Its a pretty straight forward job to replace that. Only take ya 5 minutes. Its happened to me on both of my previous mustangs. (90gt & 95gt)
Thanks for the reassurance. This is a 2007 (coupe), so hopefully it's just as easy. Does anybody know if I can just pop off the trim piece holding the weatherstripping on, or is there a fastener hiding somewhere?

Also, anybody happen to have a part number for the weatherstripping or an idea where I might find a replacement?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-19-2013, 08:24 AM
mike_d

I found this thread:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...part-name.html

Am I looking for 025A70? Will I need to use adhesive to install it?

Also, I'd appreciate any guidance on how to remove 51238.

-Mike
Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Here is the TSB on the subject in case you have not seen it yet...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LEAK TSB08-26-07 water leak.pdf (282.3 KB, 198 views)
Old 01-19-2013, 04:09 PM
mike_d

Originally Posted by 157dB
Here is the TSB on the subject in case you have not seen it yet...
Thanks for the pointer. I had tracked it down, but I'm having trouble executing the part where they say, "Remove and inspect the foam seal of window weatherstrip retainer at the A-pillar", i.e., I can't figure out how to remove the weatherstrip retainer that they point to in Figure 5. Any ideas?

-Mike
Old 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

No glue is holding the weatherstrip, it's installed with push pins and other fasteners. I have a panel removal tool set and that makes it easier. The A pillar cover just "pop's" on and off. Try pulling (semi-gently) straight down from the rear. It hooks in the front. A rounded flat blade screwdriver can pop the pins out (again, gentle as you can get away with). Notice how it fits and what goes where. A new seal (I recommend) comes with all the parts you need to do a good job. There isn't too much adjustment built in, so check your window fit carefully. Don't rush.

Frank
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 AM
mike_d

Update: I gave up and took it in to the dealer to have the A-pillar weatherstrip replaced. $500+ later I don't have that foam weatherstripping sticking out anymore, but I still have a little bit of a leak.

After discovering this, I stuck my head under the dash and saw that the water seemed to be sneaking in through the grommet in the firewall behind the blower motor. Reading the TSB, I think they might have my number on 5a:

"Reposition the grommet into the bulkhead making sure the grommet is fully seated and sealed. If there is any aftermarket wiring installed through the grommet, reroute and seal as necessary."

I should confess to having routed a large power cable from there to the large amplifier in the trunk that I use, along with the large engine, to compensate for being short and bald.

Does anybody have any tips on how to prevent water from coming in through the body harness grommet? Would adding some sealer help? Also, do I need to mess with the cowl grommets?

Thanks again,
Mike