Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat stitching by side airbag coming apart...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Seat stitching by side airbag coming apart...

More of my interior is falling apart, I've lost track at this point...

I'm nervous about fixing this, or attempting to due to the side air bag. Not sure what to do. I'm not going to the stealership that's for sure...

Has anyone had this issue?

So far;
mirror peeled
both side door panels peeled off
shifter handle fell part into pieces
side seat valance broke (poor design)
Radio buttons peeled
seat stitching came apart
seat latches broke (really poor design)
seat air adjustment broke

They literally glued this car together.
Attached Thumbnails Seat stitching by side airbag coming apart...-cam00100.jpg   Seat stitching by side airbag coming apart...-cam00101.jpg  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
ZombieHuntr
1st Gear Member

this stuff wouldn't be under warranty? if not, learn to sew!! lol...
Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZombieHuntr
this stuff wouldn't be under warranty? if not, learn to sew!! lol...
He has an 06, so no, warranty would no longer cover this one.

OP: That's a tough one. Like you said, being that it's related to an airbag it's more sensitive than some of the other issues you've had. I'd probably take it to a reputable shop and see what they recommend if I were you. Maybe upgrade to some sporty bucket seats?

As an aside, I agree that I don't know what Ford was smoking putting together the 05-09 interiors. They are just bad. The fiancee drives one and in comparison to the 2011 I drive, the interior feels like a set of tinker toys or something. The shifter, all plastics, etc feel like schit, and it all comes apart way too easily IMO. I particularly understand why so many upgrade to TCI shifters in 05-09s, that shifter is a POS.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

You're going to have to take your seats to an upholstery shop. It can't be that expensive to repair. As for your door panels, this DIY really works well as long as you take your time and do it right. https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...gging-fix.html
Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'll have to take it to an upholstery shop and see what they say. I"m hoping they can fix it without taking the seat cover off.

I did the panel fix years ago
super glued the seat valance
bought a new rear view mirror (very hard to install I suggest having someone else do it)
bought a new stock shifter **** off of ebay
bought aluminum seat latches off ebay
The radio buttons with the seat adjustment can't be fixed....

Last edited by Fort LiquordaleGT; 01-20-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:41 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
I guess I'll have to take it to an upholstery shop and see what they say. I"m hoping they can fix it without taking the seat cover off.

I did the panel fix years ago
super glued the seat valance
bought a new rear view mirror (very hard to install I suggest having someone else do it)
bought a new stock shifter **** off of ebay
bought aluminum seat latches off ebay
The radio buttons with the seat adjustment can't be fixed....
I'm sorry man, I know that panel fix can be hard after you're already done it once. The previous owners to my car did it and I had started peeling it back unknowingly, and it stretched the material a little bit. I wouldn't suggest doing it twice...

Those radio buttons seem to have problems doing that. Bout the only suggestion I have for that would be to buy a head unit... those new Pioneer touchscreens are pretty nice...
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

The seat covers aren't hard to get off after you take the seat out. I've installed seat heaters in 4 of them so far. Shouldn't be much to have them sewn if you just take the covers to a shop. I'll try to find the video that shows you how.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

http://www.motorz.tv/blog/2579/musta...ther-interior/

Here's the video. You don't need new hog rings and pliers, heavy duty zip ties work fine and are much easier to work with. Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

I think I finally found what I was looking for.. After some research I found this forum posting:

http://www.thehogring.com/2012/03/03...ew-this-cover/

You can see the videos of the guy who tested his method using #69 thread. I'm going to order some #46 and sew it myself. Plus the airbag is so much further down the seat, the top should split open like a banana... Watching his test confirms what I always thought, the airbag is so powerful and fast unless you sew it with something stupid strong it's going to rip open plus as I posted before only the top of the seat will have aftermarket stitching.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Here are some GT500 seats for 250. My husband and I put some 11 GT seat covers on mine and they feel so much better than the original fabric and the Pony Package leathers(vinyl) I had bought the year before. Its not hard to do it yourself just time consuming and your fingers will be sore the next day. The rears dont fit quite right so it would be best to order the cushions as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Take-Off-Shelby-GT500-Rear-Leather-Seat-Covers-w-head-10-11-12-13-/281103035566?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41730becae&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Seat stitching by side airbag coming apart...