Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro Solutions HID kit help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
the part that blinds people is really all of the run off and glare from not having a projector based solution. there's no clean cut off point when you slap an HID setup in a non projector housing.
Yeah, I used to firmly believe that as well but 07-09 stock housing on mustang HIDs was basically the regular housing but capped. I couldn't believe Ford though that was sufficient until I recently saw a GT500 with that setup. The light output seemed good (hard to tell from another car) and beam spread/glare when I was in front of it seemed non-existent.

I think as long as the HID bulbs are sufficiently capped you can run that setup without problems.

Glad you got things figured out Mad, looking forward to your write-up.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 01-21-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I'd need to see one on a mustang, maybe it would surprise me - I am going off of experience from seeing it on a dozen other cars with non projector housings. one of my largest pet peeves on the road is getting blinded by them. lol
Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 AM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I'd need to see one on a mustang, maybe it would surprise me - I am going off of experience from seeing it on a dozen other cars with non projector housings. one of my largest pet peeves on the road is getting blinded by them. lol
I agree completely, if I hadn't seen it personally from several different angles (the driver of that GT500 must have thought I was crazy lol) I wouldn't have bought the kool-aid.

Been blinded by every type of civic/tiburon/cobalt with those non-capped HIDs to the point where I actually thought projectors were the only OEM solution. But low and behold, capping does actually do a sufficient job.

I would do it yesterday if it weren't for the fact that police in my parent's town already seem to have it out for any car flashier than a Solara.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:18 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

I can ensure you, as long as you cap the bulbs, the cutoff is pretty good. I imagine my cutoff isn't quite as defined as some I've seen online due to the headlight tint I'm rocking. However, I can confidently say that I'm not blinding anyone.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

I have the 55watt set and have never been flashed by other drivers. Totally love my HID's and will never go back to anything else.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

As I said earlier, I have had the kit from Retrosolutions (35W) for many years. My car came with the black caps over the end of the bulbs. I probably haven't been "flashed" by oncoming cars a half dozen times in all those years. The light that dazzles oncoming cars comes out of the end of the HID discharge tube, hence, the capped setup is not a problem.
Kind of a cool thing is that Retro Solutions offers an option for cars without these built in caps. They will dip the ends of the HID discharge tube in a ceramic coating which performs the same function.
Retro Solutions is really a top shelf company. They have a lifetime warranty on their entire kit. I would highly recommend their products over the cheapy kits from places like EBAY.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

MAdStang - I agree, the capping is well worth it. I don't have all those shadows and light lines you get from other kits without caps.

Cutter - I also have the 55, and have never been flashed for being too bright. And light output is awesome.

One thing I'll add for anyone adding an HID kit. Make sure you adjust your lights accordingly. Sometimes, when adding a kit, your pattern can be higher and that's what will blind oncoming traffic. Be mindful where your pattern is. Take before and after measurement of where the beam is. Maybe something as simple as marking a spot on the garage door with a tape line.