Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on bottom of transmission

Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 AM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Default Oil on bottom of transmission

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to confirm something that I was told by the dealership that just doesn't sound right to me.

Some background:
I have an 05 GT 5-spd that I've had since 2005.

Two years ago, I had my transmission rebuilt by a shop here in town. It was a disaster of an experience, but in the end I had what I thought was a well functioning transmission.

About a year ago, while I was under the car I noticed some oil on the transmission. I took it to the Ford dealership and they ended up resealing the transmission. They said everything inside was fine, but the seals were bad.

About 4 months ago, I was under the car and noticed oil spray that seemed to becoming from the vent hole in the bottom of the bell housing. I took it to Ford, and this is the part that makes me skeptical, they said that this is normal when the car is driven hard. Now in the previous 7 years of owning the car (and driving it hard) I've never really noticed any measurable amount of oil coming from the vent hole. But now all of a sudden that is normal?!?

Well I was under the car this weekend and it seems that over the last 4 months I've only had more and more come out. The whole bottom of the transmission has a film on it, as well as the transmission support.

I haven't checked the transmission oil level yet to know how much has leaked out, but I was curious about the nature of the dealerships original claim about it being "normal" for transmission oil to come out of the bell housing bottom vent hole?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

This doesn't sound right to me either, did Ford remove the transmission to replace the seals? It sounds like they nicked the engine seal when they replaced the transmission, the leak will prob get worse and worse. A leaky rear engine seal will require the transmission to be removed again, and you may need to replace the clutch. Motor oil and clutches are a pretty bad mix, kinda like pouring oil on your brakes.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

That hole is a drain hole for water/moister, not oil. You might have brake fluid leaking out of it and if so your slave cylinder is bad. There is a transmission vent on top of the transmission and it will leak oil if it's over filled and you drive hard.

Last edited by moosestang; 01-21-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:48 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

The only way that oil is coming out of the top vent hole is like moose said. Overfilled or its too hot from driving hard so its purging some. Check your clutch fluid and engine oil. This might not be trans related at all. Slave or rear main seal could be leaking. How does the trans shift?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunetly I have some experience with this.
Is the oil red or black? If red see below
If you remove the vent hose on top and there is oil in there, most likely it is over filled and pukes when very hot. JDM catch can will fix this
If there is oil coming out around the transmission input shaft it is time to see a transmission shop.

Not to sure if you have a automatic or manual. If automatic the above applies

Last edited by ziperhead; 01-21-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Clarification on automatic vs manual
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
The only way that oil is coming out of the top vent hole is like moose said. Overfilled or its too hot from driving hard so its purging some. Check your clutch fluid and engine oil. This might not be trans related at all. Slave or rear main seal could be leaking. How does the trans shift?
Duh! Forgot about the rear main seal. I haven't seen a lot of rear main seal problems on these cars, none really.

If your rear main seal is leaking, then your clutch is probably slipping from all the oil being slung by the flywheel.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Blksaleen281

Most likely the oil is coming from a crack in the engine block itself. Saleen puts forged engines in their vehicles so I would probably invest in one of those. The stock block is not made of particularly good quality.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Originally Posted by Blksaleen281
Most likely the oil is coming from a crack in the engine block itself. Saleen puts forged engines in their vehicles so I would probably invest in one of those. The stock block is not made of particularly good quality.
Saleens don't have forged internals. The Saleen Extreme is the only model with all the goodies.

Duuuuude. Please, please, please quit giving misinformation.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Really? Do you even know what a forged engine is?

Last edited by DRAGUL; 01-21-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

You have NO clue what the hell you're talking about. Please stop giving technical info. Your precious Saleen is nothing more than a GT with a body kit with suspension mods/brakes.

Plus, yours isn't even a real s281sc because you have a centrifugal supercharger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil on bottom of transmission