Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic Maintenance? few q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Default Basic Maintenance? few q's

Hey guys, Im not gonna lie im pretty green when it comes to cars. Im trying to learn. Ive done plugs, oil changes and all that before. here's where i am at. I bought my car and finally ran out of free dealer maintenance last September. In September i had an free oil change and lube. Then my car was put into storage for the winter. I will be taking it out sometime mid feb. Im going to run to the states to pickup some oil soon and wondering what I should do to my car just to keep it running in tip top shape. I've had the car for close to 2 years and havent done anything with it. (other then dealer oil changes every 6 months). I dont put alot of miles on my car. maybe 2-3 per day during the summer. Also should I switch to synthetic oil?

Thanks for your time and your help,
Kevin
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevilay
Hey guys, Im not gonna lie im pretty green when it comes to cars. Im trying to learn. Ive done plugs, oil changes and all that before. here's where i am at. I bought my car and finally ran out of free dealer maintenance last September. In September i had an free oil change and lube. Then my car was put into storage for the winter. I will be taking it out sometime mid feb. Im going to run to the states to pickup some oil soon and wondering what I should do to my car just to keep it running in tip top shape. I've had the car for close to 2 years and havent done anything with it. (other then dealer oil changes every 6 months). I dont put alot of miles on my car. maybe 2-3 per day during the summer. Also should I switch to synthetic oil?

Thanks for your time and your help,
Kevin
i always use synthetic when i get mine changed. A new fuel filter every year when it comes out of storage is a great idea.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
i always use synthetic when i get mine changed. A new fuel filter every year when it comes out of storage is a great idea.
+1 Fuel filter would be ideal. Switching to synthetic is always a great idea, I've been using Mobil 1 since I first got my car and I've been happy with it ever since.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

I think synthetic oil will not be of any benefit if you have low mileage and change the oil every six months.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
I think synthetic oil will not be of any benefit if you have low mileage and change the oil every six months.
cant hurt if anything
Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

I have used mobil 1 on my car since day one. I have 17,000 on it now. Synthetic is always a good idea. I worked at a performance shop for a few years, and have seen engines torn down that spent their life on mineral oil, and ones that had nothing but synthetic. The ones on synthetic always look better, practically brand new inside. That was enough for me to never use mineral oil again. Like others have said, fuel filter is always a good idea. Especially with all the ethanol in gas.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:30 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Oil change every 3-5000 miles. or if you dont drive much between then at least every 6 months to a year. Synthetic could be a way to go. Fuel filter change every 15k.. air filter clean every 15k (or when it seems dirty) tranny fluid change every 60k etc..
Check under your hood every so often to make sure your fluids seem decently topped, and to check for anything loose or irregular.
Give your car a good 10-20 mile run every few months at least to keep things in working order and to keep the fluids cycling so they don't build up.
Check your tires for uneven tread
These are the things i do, hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Shadowtech

how often should the brake lines be flushed? cooling system flushed?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Cooling system every three years, Look to your manual for brakes.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
I have used mobil 1 on my car since day one. I have 17,000 on it now. Synthetic is always a good idea. I worked at a performance shop for a few years, and have seen engines torn down that spent their life on mineral oil, and ones that had nothing but synthetic. The ones on synthetic always look better, practically brand new inside. That was enough for me to never use mineral oil again. Like others have said, fuel filter is always a good idea. Especially with all the ethanol in gas.
Thanks. I have seen this info before at the dealers but I never believe their maintenance plan because their always trying to make $$

Quick Reply: Basic Maintenance? few q's