Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM
xomustangchick
1st Gear Member

Default Spring Problem..

Ok so my car kept making loud noises near the wheel so after i closer inspection i noticed that my lowering springs (SR Performance) were touching near the bottom. Here is a picture of how its touching. I dont believe this is normal so i need to know whats going on!!

Here is a closer pic showing that its touching which is making a noise over bumps. You can't even fit a credit card between them. Any solution?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM
xomustangchick
1st Gear Member

Anyone??
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Hopefully someone that has those same springs can provide a comparison pic.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
GT Katie
1st Gear Member

Are you talking about where the 2 lower coils are touching each other? If so I don't think that is where your noise is coming from. 1/2 to 1-1/4 turn of the 2nd coil touching the first is pretty normal. Look at the spring on the other side. It should be the same. What kind of noise are you hearing? Rubbing? Clunking? Rattleing? Squeaking?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure about those particular springs, but many lowering springs have "dead coils" that are used only on extreme extension to keep the spring in the perch.
"Loud Noises" could well be coming from somewhere else. The good thing is, the more severe the failure / cause of the noise, the easier it is to identify (usually).
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 PM
xomustangchick
1st Gear Member

It's a clunking noise, it sounds like the coils are banging together. Its coming from both sides of the wheel and both sides are touching like that.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Did you replace your strut mounts during the swap, or are you running the stockers?

I would be willing to bet that it was your sway bar endlinks, TONS of people that lower their cars end up not re-tightening those studs enough and they get a clunk. Check those first and make sure they're torqued down to spec, then move on to the strut mounts which (if you are still on the stockers) could be the source of your clunk.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 PM
xomustangchick
1st Gear Member

Ill go retorque everything tomorrow and see if it still clunks. Thanks for the info. But I feel like the coils shouldn't be touching like that.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Not sure if that is how the lowering spring is supposed to sit, sorry. But I did some digging, and american muscle seems to have your same spring with pics of other people's installs, and from the looks of this one there is another coil (hard to see on the very bottom there) but those last two coils seem much closer together than the rest of them. Keep in mind this could also be an unloaded/partially loaded suspension (I have no idea).

OP keep us posted if you can.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 AM
xomustangchick
1st Gear Member

I did some research and some people say bad and some say its not a problem. But i don't see how this cant be a issue if everytime i hit a bump the coils clunk together. You can even see on the bottom coils the wear from them touching off and on.

Quick Reply: Spring Problem..