Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a 2005 Mustang for $600

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

^^^^^
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

People don't give cars away. It's what separates us from the animals. I suppose it could be a v6, but that's still several thousand dollars that your buddy is throwing away.

I could just see me trying to convince my tax collectors office that I only paid $600. They don't even care anymore how much you say you paid. They make you pay tax on whatever the book says it's worth.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
People don't give cars away. It's what separates us from the animals. I suppose it could be a v6, but that's still several thousand dollars that your buddy is throwing away.

I could just see me trying to convince my tax collectors office that I only paid $600. They don't even care anymore how much you say you paid. They make you pay tax on whatever the book says it's worth.
I had that argument with my town tax collector once and lost. They were saying my car was worth more than I actually could get for it. Someone I know restores cougars, and their town taxed them on the unregistered stripped shells they had on the property.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 AM
PaulHend

Originally Posted by white08gt
sounds like a water or flood damaged car. i would run a carfax before i spent anymore money. how do you know there is condensation in the engine?
I know there is water in there because of the oil color. It's a leaky gasket. Guys, it's legal, the tow truck company would either fix it up, part it out, or give it away. When it comes the operations of the business a car sits in a place that you already own, they charge you the fee to store it. So yes, it could be 10K but to them it's just collecting dust. The owner is a sweet lady and gave it to me, $635 (with tax) was the title fee

I've attached some photos and the car has been owned and operated in my home town form 05'-12'. There is no place to go to damage the engine in water. The story is she got a DUI by the Colorado State Patrol, they impounded it, needed it gone to make room for more, sent it to the tow truck company impound, mother said she would come pick it up, never showed for a month - BAM, mine now!
Attached Thumbnails Got a 2005 Mustang for 0-img_2484.jpg   Got a 2005 Mustang for 0-img_2488.jpg   Got a 2005 Mustang for 0-img_2489.jpg   Got a 2005 Mustang for 0-img_2490.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'd get the title first before you do any work on the car, if you fix it up without a title you'll be wasting your money. You will not be able to get plates, insurance or drive it. If there is doubt about the ownership you could be charged with possession of stolen property and wind up handing it off to someone else.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I see several dents and noticed it also had a hood scoop, but not bad for $635!!
Are there any holes in the hood where the hood scoop was attached?

Definitely get the title and make sure everything is good, before putting any money into it.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:09 AM
greytung06gt
1st Gear Member

Please change the oil go from there it might just be from sitting so long?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

give away price...no brainer imho..
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM
vossen wheels
Former Sponsor

Wow, that's a steal! Hopefully the car works out for you and isn't in bad shape! Definitely post some pics and more info!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Don't know what state the OP or OP's friend are in but my experience was this:

I sold my 2000 V6 Mustang in 2008 for cash to a local guy here in AZ. I had originally bought and registered the car in Cali in 2000 until 2004 when I moved to AZ. Fast Forward to 2012, I get a letter of intent to auction the car from some towing company in Mercedes Cali due to it being towed and no response from the registered owner.

The tow company by Cali Law had to notify ALL previous registered owners of the car of their intent to auction the car. I had the choice to pay the fines and get the car or to ignore it and let it go to auction. I let it go. No idea what I would get into and I didn't want to deal with the crap of title, ownership, insurance etc.

I had called Cali DMV and their leins dept. This is standard procedure for that state. So, your 'friend' being able to sell the car sounds legit but the manner he's going about it sounds questionable.

Quick Reply: Got a 2005 Mustang for $600