Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPR vs JLT Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default UPR vs JLT Catch Can

I ran a UPR catch can on my '06 GT for several years and with the exception of the hoses, I was well satisfied with it. I would empty it every 2500 miles and it was regularly 3/4 full of oil.
Recently I decided to switch to the JLT catch can, simply because I liked the factory type pre made hoses. I also liked the black anodized finish. I also liked the over all looks of the JLT unit. I sold the UPR can.
I just removed the new can for the first time at 2200 miles and I was shocked. It had maybe 1 teaspoon of oil. Is the JLT can that much less effective than the UPR? Damn, I wish I had the old can back. Has anybody else had a similiar experience? If I hadn't run the UPR can for years I guess I would never have known.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

I have the JLT as well and am also rather disappointed by how much it doesn't catch. I pulled it off and looked the side going into the manifold and there's a bunch of oil on that side!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Put a small wad of stainless steel wool in it and it will pick up more. Just enough to losely fill the can. You will have to dump it more often, but you will be suprprised at how much more you do catch.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
Put a small wad of stainless steel wool in it and it will pick up more. Just enough to losely fill the can. You will have to dump it more often, but you will be suprprised at how much more you do catch.
DON'T do that...that stuff will be sucked into your engine!!!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...with-pics.html
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

I have a brand new JLT catch can that I'm going to install once the weather clears and my car comes out of hibernation. Dang, hope I didn't go with the wrong brand.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
DON'T do that...that stuff will be sucked into your engine!!!
Not if you use the larger stuff. Really about the size of medium drill shavings in a ball. If it was the smaller stuff I would agree. SOS pad size. I get mine at work. We use it as a purge diffuser when welding stainless, Monel, or Inconel pipe. It works and people have been doing it for years. I poke one ball down in and change it every other oil change. Breaks the turbulence and allows the oil to settle and run down into the catch can.

Edit; I should not have said SS wool. A SS scrub pad is about the size I am talking about.

Last edited by mapitts; 03-05-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Glad I read this. You've sort of confirmed what I've always suspected. I have a Moroso personally, and it catches a LOT. After the Moroso and Stef's cans became a popular DIY mod, it seems like the market was quickly flooded with imitators. UPR's unit seems to work very well, but some of the others leave a lot to be desired.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I heard this about JLT before I bought a can. This info swayed me to buy the UPR. It also catches a good amount about every 2K.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I ran a UPR catch can on my '06 GT for several years and with the exception of the hoses, I was well satisfied with it. I would empty it every 2500 miles and it was regularly 3/4 full of oil.
Recently I decided to switch to the JLT catch can, simply because I liked the factory type pre made hoses. I also liked the black anodized finish. I also liked the over all looks of the JLT unit. I sold the UPR can.
I just removed the new can for the first time at 2200 miles and I was shocked. It had maybe 1 teaspoon of oil. Is the JLT can that much less effective than the UPR? Damn, I wish I had the old can back. Has anybody else had a similiar experience? If I hadn't run the UPR can for years I guess I would never have known.
If you'd like to get back into a UPR can, I'll get you a discount.

For what it's worth, if you're super OCD with your mods (like I am sometimes) you could customize the UPR can. Black anodize or powder coat it. Have custom lines made whatever shape and color you want. And so on. Don't get me wrong, I'm running my UPR can as delivered. I'm just saying that if you want to personalize it, you could do that. Functionality is more important than looks, but you can have both!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 AM
IGO 202

Interesting post GP.....

I read before ordering my JLT from AM, everyone seemed pleased with the results but most probably did not have the comparison info that you have.

I want what works best, function over form.

My JLT is on it's way to me, not sure about AM's return policy for refund but I see that they carry the Moroso brand with a specific bracket for the '11-13's. I might be able to swap if I can get some results from a Moroso separator.

Anybody using one?

If I can't find out anything with the Moroso I'll ask for a refund and go with the UPC since it's obvious that it works.

Thanks,
Dan

Quick Reply: UPR vs JLT Catch Can