Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you like to mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Sethman29
1st Gear Member

Default How do you like to mod?

As my signature shows i have a stock 2013 gt/cs with the exception of gt500 axle backs. I was telling my brother this long list of parts i was planning to purchase next week ... Borla s-types, louvers, window tint, supension parts.. And he told me man slow down. He said "i rushed into mods on the gsx so fast i didnt have time to enjoy and appreciate each one before i looked up and had nothing left to do". Which i guess makes sense to me in a way. I didnt think i was rushing into it too fast but i was just wondering how does everyone else like to mod? Just purchase whatever whenever? Or do you alot yourself maybe 1 mod a month or maybe whatever the wife will allow lol. Lurking on the boards daily its not hard to see some highly modified beautful cars with thousands upon thousands invested.

Last edited by Sethman29; 03-06-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'll concentrate on only one mod until I've either completed it or have reached a point where I need to drive it before deciding how I'm going to proceed from there (suspension tuning can have more than one intermediate 'hold point', if you're spec'ing it yourself instead of buying a kit). Since mine are mostly mechanical, there's going to be a test drive period with perhaps a few fine-tuning adjustments still to be made. Some mod tasks are simply too big and too complex to let yourself be distracted - engine assembly or powertrain swaps for example.

I don't think about other mods even being on some "future to-do list" while I'm planning or working on any particular one. I won't even try to multitask . . . at anything.

I've also found that that approach tends to weed out any mods that I might have considered doing for the wrong reasons. Sometimes just letting the mod ideas simmer a little will boil off a few of the hasty or otherwise marginal ones.

Guess I'd rather mod slowly than mod in haste, regret, re-mod . . . rinse, repeat.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-06-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, slower is better. Take the time to enjoy each mod. It's easier on the wallet that way too.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I typically do it a mod at a time - to me, having a project is more fun than having the finished product. I tend to get bored with my car when it's in a 'finished' state, and .. well, 15 months into this one and it's already kinda finished. I should have slowed it down, too.

thankfully the car is still super fun to drive and it's keeping my attention.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Sethman29
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
I typically do it a mod at a time - to me, having a project is more fun than having the finished product. I tend to get bored with my car when it's in a 'finished' state, and .. well, 15 months into this one and it's already kinda finished. I should have slowed it down, too.

thankfully the car is still super fun to drive and it's keeping my attention.
Its good to hear that the car is just as fun that far down the road. All my friends ask me when im going to go with forced induction, an the realistic answer is probably never. Although i like the idea, i would rather invest 7-9k in my note than something else. But like i said the other day Entaill your car is one of the best looking here, sorry to hear you are kinda out of things to do at the moment.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM
teepee542
2nd Gear Member

I also do 1 at a time but that is more a function of desire vs. money than anything else. That said, I do think I enjoy them more that way.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Dharma

I've been restraining myself to no more than one mod a month. As was said before it's easier on the pocket book. It also gives you the time to take it in and better determine where you wnt to go next. For me I changed my mind on what I originally was going to do and am happier with the end (okay, not really as it'll never be finished) product.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:11 PM
BLWN PNY
1st Gear Member

Finished?
Is it ever finished
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I have one mod rule. FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35 PM
vossen wheels
Former Sponsor

I agree, one at a time is better! While it's fun to have a "finished" product, when you get to that point when you're done with a car, you tend to lose interest after a while, and get bored. If you do everything at once, you'll still be satisfied, but you'll get that itch to mod more much quicker, haha.

Quick Reply: How do you like to mod?