Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Feel free to call AM or Brenspeed and talk to their tech people. They can answer your questions and point you in the right direction.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
rogan999
1st Gear Member

Maybe I will..

I think the major debate I have is with myself, do I pay the 100 bucks extra to get the added features of the iTSX
Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

I have a SCT Custom Tune from Matt at Performance Evolution in DE for 5 years. Car runs great. With a BBK CAI he had be take 1 sec off my 1/4 times.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by rogan999
I do have a CAI already, and for all I know it may even have a custom tune. I did purchase the car used.

I am looking into the SCT IOS tuner because I like the features of it. Though some of what I heave heard about it make me a little weary. Scary things like it wiping the computer.
If you have a CAI already then guess what?
Your current CAI is a waste. Without a tune you are getting practically 0 HP or TRQ gains from it.

Worse news is this... if it is not one of those "no tune required" CAI's you could be harming your engine. If the CAI is NOT one that claims you do NOT need a tune, then you are more than likely running rich or lean, which are terms that refers to how your engine is using fuel and oxygen together, and can damage your engine.

So.. if the cai is one that is a NO tune required one, then you bought a piece of junk that is worth a paperweight. Sorry to say but all no tune required CAI's are junk, regardless of what they claim. And if it is a tune required CAI, then you are probably harming your engine running it without a tune.

In short this is what you need to do.
Find out if the CAI you have is a "no tune required" one or a regular CAI.
If it IS a no tune required CAI, toss it in the trash, and buy a CAI and Tune combo from somewhere like American Muscle.

If the CAI is a regular CAI which most are and most need tunes for, you should order a tuner and a tune ASAP from somewhere. You MuST tell them your mods, and include the brand, model, and size of your current CAI. If they do not have the correct CAI for the tune they make... then you again will end up running lean or rich and damaging the engine.

So find out if the CAI you have is a no tune required one.
If so... trash it and buy a CAI, tuner combo.
If it is a regular CAI, buy a tuner with tunes and make sure to tell the company
that makes the tunes (NOT THE HANDHELD TUNER BUT TUNES(AKA PROGRAMS), what kind and size of CAI you have. Make sure to tell them all other mods you have done to the car performance wise as well, so they can make the correct adjustments for your tune to make sure your car runs correctly and does not damage it.

That my friend, is EXACTLY what you need to do.
BTW... SCT is the brand most tuners use nowadays to tune their Mustangs for customers. Diablosport is the second most used brand.
So I would go SCT if I were you.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 03-09-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 PM
rogan999
1st Gear Member

The cai I have was on the car when I got it. For all I know the car has been tuned.

It is a ford racing cai.

Thank you for all the info. I am pretty sure I want the iTSX
Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

... I am pretty sure I want the iTSX
That's fine. But it won't provide any more performance than any other SCT tuner. But it certainly holds the "geek" distinction over the others.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Remember, unless you get tunes with the tuner... then dont change anything to the car when you get the tuner.

Also... if you do get the tuner and tunes to go with it... which is what you need to do.. then tell American Muscle or wherever that you have a Ford Racing CAI, and tell them it's size, or else again they will give you a tune for a Mustang with a stock CAI and you wil run rich or lean and damage your engine.

Make SURE to tell the place you buy the tuner from what CAI you have, and again make sure to get tunes with the tuner and not just the tuner alone!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

The cai I have was on the car when I got it. For all I know the car has been tuned.
If it is tuned already, will it not need to be flashed back to stock before reflashing another tune? I know that the SCT device looks for the ECM read strategy ( not the 4 letters / numbers on the ECM ) so it can marry the device to your ECM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If the PCM was previously tuned, then the OP will likely need to have assistance from whomever is writing his tunes. I believe that they'll need him to read the strategy code with his handheld. It's a bit of a pain but that's the problem with a used, previously tuned vehicle where the previous owner didn't return it to stock or relinquish the handheld.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the iTSX. Its just a Bluetooth module that connects to an iOS app. (I've bought a simmilar module for around $20). Even if the UI and experience is significantly better, the tuner is something you only ever use once a year or whenever you change tunes or settings, which is not often. I've had my tuner for 5+ years, and flashed as many tunes and have used the tuner a total of maybe 10 times. If your just looking for real time gauges you can do like I did and get a cheep Bluetooth module and use any phone or tablet (with app) to view data and check codes.

BTW, I am a geek with fancy gauges and a wireless tablet mount and the geek factor still doesn't make sense to me.

Quick Reply: Tuner?