Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just 1000 miles, oil leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 02:20 AM
fatbobby

Default Just 1000 miles, oil leaks!

Just at 1000 miles, my 2013 GT started oil leak. Oil leaks from where propeller shaft connects to differential gear box. I noticed oil marks on garage floor...oh boy..

Anybody has or had the same problem at this very early stage? Just 1000 miles, give me a break! I never tortured during break in period.

I am going to take to dealership for repair!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fatbobby

And as you should. That's what the warranty is for. No matter WHAT comes off the assembly line, there are bound to be items that were not installed properly. Google "infant mortality" and "bathtub curve" with respect to machinery and electronics.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 PM
beerman616
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
And as you should. That's what the warranty is for. No matter WHAT comes off the assembly line, there are bound to be items that were not installed properly. Google "infant mortality" and "bathtub curve" with respect to machinery and electronics.
Like Nuke said, it'll get straightened out.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM
drcaveman

Brand new car first stop should be the dealer.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Propeller shaft? differential gear box? You mean your pinion seal is leaking? I've read about a few early pinion seal failures.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

My car had a very slow leak there. Took my car in and they replaced the pinion seal under waranty. Not a big deal.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM
fatbobby

Thanks guys for replies and advice. Like Nuke says it cannot be helped. It is a 'car' made by good guys, not just a 'industrial good'. I really love my Mustang and like to take good care of it.

And sorry for confusing, it is a drive shaft. I am a Harley guy and don't know much about a car. I went under a car and checked. Leak (slow one) is from where drive shaft connects to differential gear and seems to be from a big seal there. Like Fresh GT says, it must be from pinion seal.

Is that leaking oil from differential gear box? Don't know how long it was leaking and hope enough oil is left so thta no parts were damaged. I will tow to dealership, not driveing up.

Again, thanks to all!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:38 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys for replies and advice. Like Nuke says it cannot be helped. It is a 'car' made by good guys, not just a 'industrial good'. I really love my Mustang and like to take good care of it.

And sorry for confusing, it is a drive shaft. I am a Harley guy and don't know much about a car. I went under a car and checked. Leak (slow one) is from where drive shaft connects to differential gear and seems to be from a big seal there. Like Fresh GT says, it must be from pinion seal.

Is that leaking oil from differential gear box? Don't know how long it was leaking and hope enough oil is left so thta no parts were damaged. I will tow to dealership, not driveing up.

Again, thanks to all!
It's doubtful anything was damaged, only so much oil can get out the pinion seal, and the only gears in the rear axle are the pinion gear and ring gear on the differentia, plus the spider gearsl. I've never heard it referred to as a gear box, which is usually used to describe a transmission.

They should have it fixed quickly.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member

IDK how much oil you are actually talking about, but mine leaked for a few years before I finally got tired of it and took it in. More of an annoyance than a mechanical worry.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Just at 1000 miles, my 2013 GT started oil leak. Oil leaks from where propeller shaft connects to differential gear box. I noticed oil marks on garage floor...oh boy..

Anybody has or had the same problem at this very early stage? Just 1000 miles, give me a break! I never tortured during break in period.

Hello fatbobby,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service, and I also recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Just 1000 miles, oil leaks!