Just 1000 miles, oil leaks! - MustangForums.com



2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
fatbobby
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Default Just 1000 miles, oil leaks!

Just at 1000 miles, my 2013 GT started oil leak. Oil leaks from where propeller shaft connects to differential gear box. I noticed oil marks on garage floor...oh boy..

Anybody has or had the same problem at this very early stage? Just 1000 miles, give me a break! I never tortured during break in period.

I am going to take to dealership for repair!
fatbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Nuke
6th Gear Member
 
Nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PA to KY ('07) to IL ('09) to MS ('10) to FL ('11)
Posts: 16,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbobby View Post
...

I am going to take to dealership for repair!
And as you should. That's what the warranty is for. No matter WHAT comes off the assembly line, there are bound to be items that were not installed properly. Google "infant mortality" and "bathtub curve" with respect to machinery and electronics.
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
beerman616
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
And as you should. That's what the warranty is for. No matter WHAT comes off the assembly line, there are bound to be items that were not installed properly. Google "infant mortality" and "bathtub curve" with respect to machinery and electronics.
Like Nuke said, it'll get straightened out.
beerman616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
drcaveman
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 5
Default

Brand new car first stop should be the dealer.
drcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

Propeller shaft? differential gear box? You mean your pinion seal is leaking? I've read about a few early pinion seal failures.
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member
 
Fresh_GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 341
Default

My car had a very slow leak there. Took my car in and they replaced the pinion seal under waranty. Not a big deal.
Fresh_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
fatbobby
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks guys for replies and advice. Like Nuke says it cannot be helped. It is a 'car' made by good guys, not just a 'industrial good'. I really love my Mustang and like to take good care of it.

And sorry for confusing, it is a drive shaft. I am a Harley guy and don't know much about a car. I went under a car and checked. Leak (slow one) is from where drive shaft connects to differential gear and seems to be from a big seal there. Like Fresh GT says, it must be from pinion seal.

Is that leaking oil from differential gear box? Don't know how long it was leaking and hope enough oil is left so thta no parts were damaged. I will tow to dealership, not driveing up.

Again, thanks to all!
fatbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
moosestang
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 11,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbobby View Post
Thanks guys for replies and advice. Like Nuke says it cannot be helped. It is a 'car' made by good guys, not just a 'industrial good'. I really love my Mustang and like to take good care of it.

And sorry for confusing, it is a drive shaft. I am a Harley guy and don't know much about a car. I went under a car and checked. Leak (slow one) is from where drive shaft connects to differential gear and seems to be from a big seal there. Like Fresh GT says, it must be from pinion seal.

Is that leaking oil from differential gear box? Don't know how long it was leaking and hope enough oil is left so thta no parts were damaged. I will tow to dealership, not driveing up.

Again, thanks to all!
It's doubtful anything was damaged, only so much oil can get out the pinion seal, and the only gears in the rear axle are the pinion gear and ring gear on the differentia, plus the spider gearsl. I've never heard it referred to as a gear box, which is usually used to describe a transmission.

They should have it fixed quickly.
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Fresh_GT
2nd Gear Member
 
Fresh_GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 341
Default

IDK how much oil you are actually talking about, but mine leaked for a few years before I finally got tired of it and took it in. More of an annoyance than a mechanical worry.
Fresh_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep
 
FordService's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 1,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbobby View Post
Just at 1000 miles, my 2013 GT started oil leak. Oil leaks from where propeller shaft connects to differential gear box. I noticed oil marks on garage floor...oh boy..

Anybody has or had the same problem at this very early stage? Just 1000 miles, give me a break! I never tortured during break in period.

I am going to take to dealership for repair!
Hello fatbobby,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service, and I also recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford dealer for diagnosis. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate this to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AODE Woes Pyrate Dave 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang 8 09-10-2015 07:30 PM
V6 Engine Ticking Nick Oliver V6 S197 General Discussion 2 09-05-2015 10:34 AM
need a water pump step by step guide needhelpplease 2005-2014 Mustangs 7 09-04-2015 09:59 AM
Help! Metra 70-5521 AMP Harness Install cbird1177711 2005-2014 Mustangs 2 09-03-2015 08:43 PM
Best Place To Run Power Wire/Firewall '08 cbird1177711 2005-2014 Mustangs 3 09-02-2015 08:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.