Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Exhaust dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Sterling302
1st Gear Member

Unhappy 2012 Exhaust dilemma

Brief question, any help is appreciated.
Got a Pypes axle back system (for sound, obviously) and they're great, I love them. But my plan is to slowly start reworking my exhaust. (Headers, high flow cats, etc..) Heres the dilemma. I Can't get a cat back system without it including the mufflers...But I already have the mufflers! What do I do?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

ask pypes if they will sell you the other bits to their catback system. they probably won't

when you pick a new catback system, sell your axle-back for less than what you paid.

no real dilemma here, just some extra spending due to not planning it ahead : )
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

sell the axle back after you put everything else on. Explore your options if youre up to it.. borla, corsa, slp, etc. if youre set on pypes, i agree with what entaille said^
Old 03-25-2013, 05:07 AM
KC2086

couple shops in my area will fabricate custom mid inlet pipes(from cat to your axleback) id go that route if i were you. Im sure they exist where you live. go with 409 stainless and a shop that has a mandrel bender. Chances are any catback system you find will not fit up to your mufflers correctly anyway as they are all different. I have a magnaflow competition catback system and honestly i can say the stock inlet pipes arent that bad despite the fact that they are 2.75" rather than 3". A better sound can be accomplished by simply removing the resonators, maybe you might want to go that route, its alot cheaper. I bought this setup cause i didnt have any mods to begin with. If i had an axleback already i probably wouldnt of. You might also be suprised at the difference in sound if you swap out the factory hpipe for an xpipe. Most people go this route from what ive heard. You could theoretically sell your axleback system as that particular setup is actually in high demand and no doubt it sounds great, ive heard it in person. As far as an xpipe stick with lethal performance 409 stainless offroad or magnaflow tru-x or stainless works if you are going the offroad route. Most of the other options have a tinny sound to it from my experience. Sorry if i missed any in my research im sure there are other good ones out there. Keep in mind if you are planning on getting LT headers you would have to get a different xpipe or modify your current one. I can say i havent found any exhaust besides the bassani race axleback that sounds nearly as good as the magnaflow competition catback. Americanmuscle has an excellent sound clip archive for pretty much anytihng you want. Anything you cant find there you can find on youtube. Hope this helped!! Do your research and explore your options theres so much out there. Cheers bro
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Since you already have an axle back, why not just run headers with hi-flow cats and 3" mid-pipes, this will really wake the engine up and it will improve the sound of the already purchased axle back.

Check out Stainless Works Headers

Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Sterling302
1st Gear Member

Thanks for everyone's fast replies! I have to chalk this one up to poor planning and lack of budget. And the last reply seems like the answer I was looking for ^ I just can't find anyone who sells just the mid pipes. Besides maybe a shop as mentioned before. That was the dilemma.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:52 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Pypes sells just the over axle pipe for the 05-10 models. Any reason you're looking to change the factory over axles? I would just look into headers/midpipe...over axle pipes aren't worth the time.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 AM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

you don't need a catback. Just change the axleback. You aren't giving up much by keeping the stock intermediate pipes (in my case I just removed the resonators)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM
jtgerik

Depending on where you live there should be a shop capable of making you custom mid pipes cheap.. they aren't hard to make, nor install.. I had mine done.. right when I bought the car. that was stock heads/cats into 3" True dual/no cross over mids into flowmasters.. which has since been changed into an entire pypes system heads to exhaust. But the shop mandrel bent the pipes, welded everything up beautifully and worked like a charm. As previously stated.. you can just order the whole deal you want, and sell off your current mufflers.. you'll lose a bit of change but that's just part of making go fast