Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT X3 tuner

Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 PM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT X3 tuner

I'd like to know how I can convert a used SCT X3 tuner into a non-Steeda device and be able to upload Bama tunes.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:31 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

An X3 tuner is not "married" to any particular tune supplier. However, the new tune has to have been written for that particular tuner's serial number and the particular car's computer code. Problems arise when you buy a used tuner off of somebody else - a tuner can become "married" to a particular car and it won't work on yours without SCT resetting it. But if the tuner was used on your car before, then the process is easy.
There are 3 storage slots for tunes and you can download an email tune into any of the slots, and it will overwrite what is already in there and you are good to go.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

The original owner ordered the device from Steeda for his 2011 GT. Mine is a 2012 V6 and I just received this morning the tunes that I purchased from Bama.
Yes, when I ordered the tunes from Bama I provided the device's serial number as well as my computer code and all the other informations about my car.
Someone told me that I had to convert into a non-Steeda device before being able ton install my Bama tunes.
Also, a guy from a SCT official dealer told me that once the device was settled with Steeda, it can't be changed, but I don't think it's right.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:47 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Do you have the USB cord to hook the tuner up to your computer? You will need to download the SCT updater software. I would just try it - if you can load the tune on the X3 you are all set
Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MarkThorn
The original owner ordered the device from Steeda for his 2011 GT. Mine is a 2012 V6 and I just received this morning the tunes that I purchased from Bama.
Yes, when I ordered the tunes from Bama I provided the device's serial number as well as my computer code and all the other informations about my car.
Someone told me that I had to convert into a non-Steeda device before being able ton install my Bama tunes.
Also, a guy from a SCT official dealer told me that once the device was settled with Steeda, it can't be changed, but I don't think it's right.
MarkThorn,

As long as the original car was set back to stock causing the tuner to be unlocked, you'll have no problem. The tuner cannot be "locked" to Steeda tunes in any way, it can only be locked to individual Mustang PCM's. In other words, the type of tunes it holds has nothing to do with the device being locked.

Hope this clarifies things!

Shane
Old 04-19-2013, 06:37 PM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

When I plug the device in the PC it gives me this message:

"system start up
please wait
filesystem ERROR
need to be reloaded"

Doesn't look good, isn't it?...
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Another used tuner gone wrong...
Old 04-20-2013, 12:51 AM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

There must be a way to reload the system?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 AM
Wax.is

When I plug the device in the PC it gives me this message:

"system start up
please wait
filesystem ERROR
need to be reloaded"

Doesn't look good, isn't it?...
hope this helps, took it off sct support

Power up the device by plugging in to either a vehicle's OBDII port or a computer's USB port. (usb cable not included)
Once powered up, scroll all the way down to device info.
Press Select on Device Info.
Status will either be: Status: married or Status: Unmarried

*This is the breakdown of what each one means:*
Status:married - The vehicle is VIN locked, you need to either return the vehicle it is currently locked to back to stock, or you will need to call Tech Support and Get a Return Authorization and pay an Unlocking Fee.

if all is well (unmarried), then you will need to install the drivers for the device.

whats your device status ?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Wax.is

There must be a way to reload the system?
if your device is married you got

(sct support quotes)
To get the unit unlocked you will need to contact our Tech Support staff over the phone and they will instruct you on what you will need and the information we will need so you can send your device in to us for unlock. The cost to unlock the unit is $150.00

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SCT X3 tuner