Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-15-2015, 07:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Hydraulic floor jack and jack stand questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default Hydraulic floor jack and jack stand questions.

So I've decided to invest in a floor jack and some jack stands. So the questions are:

1. What weight rating should I get? I found a good deal on a 2 1/4 ton jack with a set of jack stands to go with it. I'm guessing that would be good enough for a mustang, but if not please let me know.

2. Where are the proper places to jack the car up from and to place the jack stands? I know a while back there was a diagram that showed this but I couldn't find it when I searched. If anyone has said diagram or a link to it that would be great.

3. Is there anything crazy/special I should look for when buying a floor jack? I have used my friends before and obviously its pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure if there are brands to stay away from or anything like that.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM
mrz2207

its good to buy a 2 1/2 to 3 ton floor jack(not a ***** trolley jack). its important to make sure it dosent say trolley jack if you want an actual floor jack. 3 ton jack stands are fine also. you can jack the car up from the crossmember, rear axle, look for good solid frame, and the rocker panel seam( be careful to not drop the car to fast on the jack stands because it could bend the rocker panel seam)
Old 04-21-2013, 05:07 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrz2207
its good to buy a 2 1/2 to 3 ton floor jack(not a ***** trolley jack). its important to make sure it dosent say trolley jack if you want an actual floor jack. 3 ton jack stands are fine also. you can jack the car up from the crossmember, rear axle, look for good solid frame, and the rocker panel seam( be careful to not drop the car to fast on the jack stands because it could bend the rocker panel seam)
Ok, so I should look for a service jack then? I found a 3 ton jack with a set of 3 ton jack stands for $160 on amazon. I'm pretty sure I'll go with that.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Most of your large floor jacks are the same design, most likely made in the same factory in China. I've been using the same craftsman aluminum race jack for 6 years. It started leaking after the 1st year and I replaced the oring, now it's leaking again.

There are cutouts under the side skirts to place jack stands, just in front of and behind the rear/front tires.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-21-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Sears craftsman is great. Got my 3 ton floor jack/jackstand combo for $150 during a sale. Mine is ordinary steel though so no leaks or issues after 4 years. Plus is they'll replace any defects free no questions.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Sears craftsman is great. Got my 3 ton floor jack/jackstand combo for $150 during a sale. Mine is ordinary steel though so no leaks or issues after 4 years. Plus is they'll replace any defects free no questions.
Yeah I normally stick to craftsman but when I looked at reviews for the jack I could afford on their website it wasn't that great. Apparently there were a lot of problems with the seals. You do make a good point thought that they have a great warranty.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:21 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I see you have a chin spoiler, so keep in mind you will want a low profile jack, or you can make some ramps out of 1x10's. My car is lowered with a chin spoiler and I had to make ramps to get to the cross member to jack it.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Dumb question, but when I last had my car up on jack stands, I lifted from the points where the cutouts in the side skirts are, then lowered onto the jack stand, which I put just behind the hydraulic jack on the same seam, repeated on the other side.

Is there a better place to lift from? It sounds like you're putting your jack under the front bumper somewhere...
Old 04-21-2013, 06:51 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Craftsman doesn't have the same warranty on their floor jacks as they do on a wrench. They will not replace your floor jack if it breaks 10 years from now.

99.999% of all these jacks use the exact same hydraulic cylinder. The aluminum race jacks still have a steel cylinder and still weight 50+ lbs, so they aren't saving much weight.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by steev
Dumb question, but when I last had my car up on jack stands, I lifted from the points where the cutouts in the side skirts are, then lowered onto the jack stand, which I put just behind the hydraulic jack on the same seam, repeated on the other side.

Is there a better place to lift from? It sounds like you're putting your jack under the front bumper somewhere...
If your car isn't lowered or doesn't have a chin spoiler, then you can lift the front under the engine cross member. I'm lowered with a chin spoiler and there's no way, even after driving up on a 2x10, that I can use that jack point anymore.

Name:  Frntlift.jpg
Views: 13984
Size:  53.9 KB

Quick Reply: Hydraulic floor jack and jack stand questions.