Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 PM
car_designer

Default Radio question

First, I'm still learning my way around here, so if this is in the wrong area, let me know.

My car is a 2013 Mustang V6 premium with the Pony package.

The radio lens was etched or something from when I picked up the car. I took it back and they replaced the radio display under warranty.

Only thing is the radio now does 2 things I don't remember it doing before they replaced the display.

1) There are 2 vertical lines that light up. See picture below.
2) It seems like the display does not dim with the dash lights, which I thought it did with the original display.

One other thing, which really isn't a problem is that when I start the car, the radio shows "Mustang" before switching to the time/radio info. Did I just miss this for 2 months of driving the car or do some factory radios do it and others don't?

Name:  radio_zps17f2eaa9.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  24.6 KB
Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Mine shows Mustang when I first turn it on and it does not dim either. Only the LED controlled sections do which the radio is not connected to.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 AM
JimC

Those vertical lines shouldn't be there - and I'm pretty sure my display dims with the dimmer switch and lights. I'll check it today, as well as check for the Mustang in the display. Never noticed it.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM
amyhughes
1st Gear Member

I just checked: Mine dims with the rest of the dash, it doesn't have those lines, and it doesn't display "Mustang" when I start the car. 2013 V6 Premium with comfort package and pony package.

Maybe they used a display from a different year or maybe your radio has a new ROM version. A bad update, if that's the case.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

My doesnt do either of those things so I doubt the replacement was from a later model as I have a '11 Premium.

Matthew
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Risq

I think the "new" replacements are coming this way.

My brother's 2013 GT just had his replaced about two weeks ago because it had moisture in the display from the factory and the dealer thought it would dry up but after a few months it ended up destroying the display.

He went to the dealer and got his replaced and it had the same two lines in the display. I asked him about that, because his old one didn't have those lines, and he said the dealer said that this was the way they were coming.

Mine doesn't have it from the factory, but that might change at some point if I ever needed to replace it
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
JimC

Checked mine today - and mine was replaced as well because of the moisture look and I don't have those lines.

Also, mine dims with the lights and dimmer switch but doesn't display "Mustang" - it goes right to the radio channel display or whatever I had it on last, or if I turned it off it just shows the time, temperature, and direction (although my wife's Lincoln MKZ does display "Lincoln MKZ")
Old 04-23-2013, 08:12 PM
mariusvt
1st Gear Member

My '13 doesn't have the lines or the mustang text on start, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is something with the replacement radios firmware.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM
car_designer

Hmm, I guess I'll have to talk to the dealership about this.

I like the fact that it says Mustang on start up.

The lack of diming is not an issue for me either.

The 2 lines just don't look right to me. Especially since in the driving position, the left one is white but the right ones goes through the blue-ish lens in the center of the display.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:20 PM
sbbamafan

I just got mine replaced today. Exactly same issue as yours. Says "Mustang" - didn't used to and has the exact same 2 lines...

Dealer said they had never seen one like this, but it must be just how they are now. I just wish somebody at Ford would / could confirm that this is how it is supposed to be now.

Quick Reply: Radio question