Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 2013 gt

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 PM
sharony1994
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about 2013 gt

So I have recently read around that the 2013 gt w track aps comes with auto brake (when on a steep hill it holds the brake for 2 seconds). I have a six speed and was wondering if there is a setting to turn it on b/c i have been on some pretty steep hills and have not noticed the car auto braking, i just role back. Is this on auto's only or am i completely wrong in the first place and the car doesn't have that?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Nope mine just works, it does have to be a big enough slope. Also I think you need to push the brake down far enough. Are you keeping pressure on the throttle while stopped cause that might mess it up too. Auto's do not have them far as i know since they would not roll back to begin with.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 AM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

It's an always on thing for me. Takes a decent slope to engage it.
It's a bit of a surprise when it actually does engage. In most cases I'd prefer it didn't.

Anyone else not have the skip shift at all? I dunno if they did away with that in the '13 or if it gets removed for being a track pack car or what. But it's never done it in my car.

Last edited by UberDuper; 04-23-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 AM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

This feature is on all manual 2013's. You press brake and clutch while stopped, put it in first, let off the brakes and the car will hold the brakes for 3 seconds or until you start moving. Happens for me on even relatively mild inclines. You have to come to a complete stop, though, or it won't engage.

And to answer UberDuper, I think they got rid of the skip shift in the 13's.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UberDuper
It's an always on thing for me. Takes a decent slope to engage it.
It's a bit of a surprise when it actually does engage. In most cases I'd prefer it didn't.
Try this. "Ignition on" = key in the on position with the engine not running.

Page 177 in owners manual 2013 2nd addition and later.

Your vehicle comes with hill start assist already enabled. If desired, you can disable the feature by following the procedure below.
The following procedure must be completed within 45 seconds or the process will have to be repeated. Begin this procedure with the ignition turned off. This procedure is for both disabling and enabling the hill start assist system.
1. Apply parking brake to make sure the vehicle is not moving.
2. Turn the ignition on.
3. Place the vehicle in neutral gear.
4. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – make sure the brake pedal is completely released each time.
5. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the right and return the steering wheel to the original starting position.
6. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the left and return the steering wheel to the original starting position.
7. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – ensure the brake pedal is completely released each time.
When the procedure has been completed successfully the ABS icon in the instrument cluster will flash:
• three times indicating that the feature has been disabled.
• twice indicating it has been enabled.
Once the feature is programmed as desired, it will remain in that mode until the above procedure is repeated.
Aside from helping real newbies to manual transmissions and truly horrible hill situations or trailer towing I can't see any reason why the busy-bodies needed to get involved here . . . other than their own job security I suppose. But at least Ford's version is delivered with the ability to be turned off, unlike the case with Chevy's Camaro.

I think the slope has to be something like 5% or steeper before it activates even when it is 'on'.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-23-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 AM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

Same as everyone else. Mine even engages on my drive-way going into the garage.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

Thanks Norm. I should really find and read my manual.

I still need to deal with new TPMS sensors and I'd like to set up the garage door opener someday.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I guess that's part of what forums are for . . . and being on page 177 does make it buried just a bit deep for picking up on with only casual reading.

Actually, since I only have a 2008 GT, I cribbed that quote from another Mustang forum. It's easy to find the right search terms when you've been following several Camaro discussions on the topic and when your daughter's upcoming new car purchase (Dodge Dart) is going to also involve disabling it.

Norm
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 PM
sharony1994
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Try this. "Ignition on" = key in the on position with the engine not running.

Aside from helping real newbies to manual transmissions and truly horrible hill situations or trailer towing I can't see any reason why the busy-bodies needed to get involved here . . . other than their own job security I suppose. But at least Ford's version is delivered with the ability to be turned off, unlike the case with Chevy's Camaro.

I think the slope has to be something like 5% or steeper before it activates even when it is 'on'.

Norm
Thank you very much!