Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Your Professional Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Drop springs would do that for you.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 AM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

What are drop springs? Off to Google.......
Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

The springs are the first item on your list already

Around $863 for the parts you have listed from Steeda's website, so almost $400 in labor... I had JUST a set of springs installed on a previous car for $150, not sure what the rates are nowadays, or how involved the LCA's or LCA relocation brackets are??? For as little as you drive the car, I would just do the springs and panhard bar. Might need some Camber bolts or plates for the front (in order to align the front end) most likely just the bolts for the smaller drop you are planning. I would get a breakdown of the prices they are charging for the parts and see if you can get them cheaper as I'm sure they are making some $$$ off you on the parts as well. We get a pretty good discount on American Muscle and they have some pretty decent lowering packages, just my .02.. GOOD LUCK

Good reading at the bottom of the page here:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/1112-suspension.html

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 04-24-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 AM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the clarity of your post. Do you know what a relocation bracket is?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JB04GT
Thanks for the clarity of your post. Do you know what a relocation bracket is?
It lowers the mounting position of the LCAs on the rear axle. When you lower the car, it changes the angle of the LCAs which will affect the performance of the suspension. It's fairly common to have wheel hop issues after lowering a car and relocation brackets can combat this problem.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

First off GTR does amazing work and are good people. That being said I think the price is alittle high. Let me ask can you do the work yourself? You could save an easy $400ish and do the work yourself. The parts you listed are not hard to install plus you get to learn something about your car.

Matthew

Where do you live in Cali OP? I'm in Downey and have all the tools I you want to just come over to my place and do the work yourself.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 PM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

If you wanted to, you could do the rear (LCA, LCA relo, Panhard) with basic tools and jacks. The fronts are a little more difficult but not bad.

Those prices seem a little high,but they are about right for a conceited speed shop known for quality work.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by JB04GT
So for the most part, does everyone agree that shocks and struts are optional? That's really my whole dilemma.
No, they are not optional. If you are dropping the suspension that much, the factory shocks and struts will not suffice. They are valved for your existing ride height and spring rate. Change the springs and ride height and you have the wrong shock/strut for the job = crap handling. Look into Koni Sport Yellow adjustables so you can tune the feel for what you like.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 AM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

While I'm of the same opinion as Derf that shocks/struts are not optional when swapping to aftermarket lowering springs, I would only recommend the Koni Sports to people who are looking for a serious improvement in handling. The STR.T line are more than adequate for lowering springs and about half the price of the Sports. On the other hand, the Koni Sports are worth every penny of their price.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
No, they are not optional. If you are dropping the suspension that much, the factory shocks and struts will not suffice. They are valved for your existing ride height and spring rate. Change the springs and ride height and you have the wrong shock/strut for the job = crap handling. Look into Koni Sport Yellow adjustables so you can tune the feel for what you like.
If you want the best possible ride, then get the struts and shocks now. I rode on the stock struts/shocks for years, but the difference with just some performance shocks on the rear is night and day over stock. The stock damper do a poor job of keeping the car from bottoming out and it will be more bouncy

I'm waiting for American muscle to get the koni struts back in stock so I can change my stockers. Hey American muscle, get me my struts! And let me win one of those sweepstakes!

The relocation brackets really help improve the ride as well if you do a 1.5 inch drop or more, besides helping with traction.

Last edited by moosestang; 04-25-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Need Your Professional Opinion