Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v6 to gt seat swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default v6 to gt seat swap?

I (like many of you I'm sure) suffer from occasional back problems after a few incidents in the past. After driving my dad's 06 gt, I find my 07 v6 seats rather uncomfortable; I particularly like the extra padding in the gt's seats. So let me ask you this. Would I be able to do a seat swap? Also, If I found a 2010, '11, '12, or '13 seat for sale, would it fit accurately in my car? Are there any places that sell oem mustang seats?
Thanks guys/gals
Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
I (like many of you I'm sure) suffer from occasional back problems after a few incidents in the past. After driving my dad's 06 gt, I find my 07 v6 seats rather uncomfortable; I particularly like the extra padding in the gt's seats. So let me ask you this. Would I be able to do a seat swap? Also, If I found a 2010, '11, '12, or '13 seat for sale, would it fit accurately in my car? Are there any places that sell oem mustang seats?
Thanks guys/gals
I didn't know the GT and V6 seats were different comfort wise 2005-2009?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 PM
JimC

There is a difference in the padding as I recall - seems that when people swapped the seat covers it made a difference if the "pads" were included.

The seats will fit, they mount exactly the same. The only thing to be aware of is if you don't have side air bags and the new seats have them DO NOT plug in the air bag sensor. It will trip a light for the air bags because your car won't recognize the signal. Just leave that extra plug undone.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:55 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I didn't know the GT and V6 seats were different comfort wise 2005-2009?
I had/have an 05 v6 convertible and 05 GT convertible, same seats/interior in both. They were both premium trims though.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

The only thing different in the v6 vs GT is the leather seat pleating. The cloth is just the word Mustang vs running horses. Nothing else really. The leather in the v6 is wide spaced in the seams, where the GT is close and evenly spaced seams. It's like 3 GT seams for 1 base seam. That makes a difference in the bolsters also. The material is tighter and seems to ride better. Also, your dad's GT probably had the power seat, and the v6 one didn't. The lumbar support is why I bought my Mustang. I have had my back repaired a couple times, and the 6 way power seat itself is excellent. When I had the cloth covers, it was ok, but the leather tightened the seating quite a bit. Now I can go hundreds of miles, while I can go maybe 100 miles tops with my Lariat. I hate the fact that I can't go on and on anymore. Too much fun earlier in life is coming back to haunt me now. lol.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
The only thing different in the v6 vs GT is the leather seat pleating. The cloth is just the word Mustang vs running horses. Nothing else really. The leather in the v6 is wide spaced in the seams, where the GT is close and evenly spaced seams. It's like 3 GT seams for 1 base seam. That makes a difference in the bolsters also. The material is tighter and seems to ride better. Also, your dad's GT probably had the power seat, and the v6 one didn't. The lumbar support is why I bought my Mustang. I have had my back repaired a couple times, and the 6 way power seat itself is excellent. When I had the cloth covers, it was ok, but the leather tightened the seating quite a bit. Now I can go hundreds of miles, while I can go maybe 100 miles tops with my Lariat. I hate the fact that I can't go on and on anymore. Too much fun earlier in life is coming back to haunt me now. lol.
I have leather in my v6 but I don't have the comfy padding. I also have lumbar support but the switch stopped working. The early life is the fun life, thats for sure. It seems to be when the most trouble is started.

So, a '10, '11, '12, or '13 seat will fit in my car? Will it seat right on the electric runners?
thanks
Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

I have leather in my v6 but I don't have the comfy padding. I also have lumbar support but the switch stopped working. The early life is the fun life, thats for sure. It seems to be when the most trouble is started.

So, a '10, '11, '12, or '13 seat will fit in my car? Will it seat right on the electric runners?
thanks
JaybeS...you have the gray type seat right? Look at the CS covering and see how much tighter the seams are. They don't stretch like the gray ones do. That helps by itself. When I switched to the GT leathers, I immediately felt the difference.
Attached Thumbnails v6 to gt seat swap?-kgrhqf-iufdg00c-npbrcebdenr-60_12.jpg   v6 to gt seat swap?-t2ec16hhjhkffl70jm2obrby-5snqq-60_12.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 12:50 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

JaybeS...you have the gray type seat right? Look at the CS covering and see how much tighter the seams are. They don't stretch like the gray ones do. That helps by itself. When I switched to the GT leathers, I immediately felt the difference.
Yeah thats right. So did you just replace the center parts of the seat or did you get all new seats?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Yeah thats right. So did you just replace the center parts of the seat or did you get all new seats?
I went ahead and found an almost new set of take off GT leather covers and just recovered my seats. There are no differences between the base and GT frames or mounts. Some of the GT have side bolsters in the seats, but that is only some foam. The way they stretch the GT covers (tighter pleats), make the seat feel tighter and more butt fitting.

I love the GT covers. I would of gone with Katz's or something similar, but I bought my covers for under 200 plus frt, I had to go that way. That was 2 years ago. I have a set of GT leather (dove gray) extras, if someone wants to convert their cloth to leather or base to GT style. I don't have the plastic panels though. I had considered putting the gray in and use the black plastic around it.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I went ahead and found an almost new set of take off GT leather covers and just recovered my seats. There are no differences between the base and GT frames or mounts. Some of the GT have side bolsters in the seats, but that is only some foam. The way they stretch the GT covers (tighter pleats), make the seat feel tighter and more butt fitting.

I love the GT covers. I would of gone with Katz's or something similar, but I bought my covers for under 200 plus frt, I had to go that way. That was 2 years ago. I have a set of GT leather (dove gray) extras, if someone wants to convert their cloth to leather or base to GT style. I don't have the plastic panels though. I had considered putting the gray in and use the black plastic around it.
So how did you go about recovering them? Did you have to take your old leather off the seats and replace with the gt covers? How did you go about stitching them onto your seats? I'm not entirely sure on upholstery. Wouldn't mind giving it a shot though!

Quick Reply: v6 to gt seat swap?