MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005 - 2014 Mustangs (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Need noob assistance lifting front end (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/694111-need-noob-assistance-lifting-front-end.html)

20binafd 04-25-2013 06:04 PM

Need noob assistance lifting front end
 
Ok so I have a jack that won't reach the front part of the frame that most people use to jack their car up. The part circled in red in this picture.

http://i.imgur.com/o4N8kWS.jpg?1

I don't know the terminology so if you guys could chime in I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, I read that the pinch welds (where you'd place the scissor jack to change a flat) shouldn't be used to raise the car more than is necessary to lift the tire off the ground. I need it to be high enough off the ground to get a jack stand under at the second location on the frame, the part circled in green. Can I use the pinch weld to lift the car sufficiently to get the jack stand at the green location? Is the pinch weld a strong location like the other circled locations?

I spent an hour reading up on this so please only suggestions and no comments on me being a noob, taking it to a professional, buying equipment to make it easier etc.

20binafd 04-25-2013 06:07 PM

can the orangy yellow circled locations be used for jack stands?

http://i.imgur.com/hsQhg2Y.jpg?1

2005Redfire6 04-25-2013 06:24 PM

You can use where the yellow circles are but I can tell you it will bend your K member and warp the metal, ask me how I know... I have always used the pinch welds.

moosestang 04-25-2013 07:59 PM

I always use the pinch welds, but my jack has a large surface area, so the load is spread out more. I just jack it up just behind where the jack stands go.

I have used the yellow circled area of the K member, but not on a regular basis.

20binafd 04-25-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosestang (Post 8201480)
I always use the pinch welds, but my jack has a large surface area, so the load is spread out more. I just jack it up just behind where the jack stands go.

I have used the yellow circled area of the K member, but not on a regular basis.

Ok so I'll jack it up at the pinch welds high enough to get a jack stand under the end of the k member, lower it onto the jack stand, and then do the same on the other side. Sound about right?

Thanks moostang and redfire for clearing that up, I was reading about bent k members and I couldn't for the life of me figure out which part people were talking about. Apparently lifting at the pinch welds on the fox body damaged the car and I read in an s197 manual not to lift the car more than is needed to remove a tire but I guess its one of those liability things, kinda like pumpkin jacking. Thanks again guys.

I'll wait until someone confirms what I said before going ahead.

Murgatroy 04-26-2013 02:14 AM

See where the two bolts are infront of the yellow circles? That is where I would aim.

It is a hard mount, which means even if you deform the bracing (highly doubtful) it won't warp alignment.

I am then fond of using the A-Arms mounting point at the K-member as the bracing for the jack stands if you jack high enough.




Another solution would be to use the scissor jack to lift one side of the car enough for you to fit your jack under the nose with enough slack to work the handle. Or, work the jack without the handle and use a stout screwdriver or a wrench. I am assuming the issue you have isn't the jack reaching the K-member, but having clearance to work the jack once it gets there.

Ramps are another solution.

20binafd 04-26-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murgatroy (Post 8201649)
Another solution would be to use the scissor jack to lift one side of the car enough for you to fit your jack under the nose with enough slack to work the handle. Or, work the jack without the handle and use a stout screwdriver or a wrench. I am assuming the issue you have isn't the jack reaching the K-member, but having clearance to work the jack once it gets there.

Ramps are another solution.

I never thought of that! Thats what I'll do then, because you're right, I can't even get my jack under the front bumper. I was thinking of building ramps, I guess I'll do that for next time. Thanks for the insight Murgatroy.

fast george 04-26-2013 10:34 AM

K member center front
 
if you drive up on a ramp so that you can roll your floor jack
under the front ---is it safe to use the center of the k-member
to raise to the needed height???
that would be supporting all the front end wight
thanks for your help:
icon_confused:

moosestang 04-26-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20binafd (Post 8201593)
Ok so I'll jack it up at the pinch welds high enough to get a jack stand under the end of the k member, lower it onto the jack stand, and then do the same on the other side. Sound about right?

Thanks moostang and redfire for clearing that up, I was reading about bent k members and I couldn't for the life of me figure out which part people were talking about. Apparently lifting at the pinch welds on the fox body damaged the car and I read in an s197 manual not to lift the car more than is needed to remove a tire but I guess its one of those liability things, kinda like pumpkin jacking. Thanks again guys.

I'll wait until someone confirms what I said before going ahead.

You can jack it at the pinch welds just behind where the cutout is for a jack stand, then put the jack stand in at the pinch weld. I don't recommend using the K member, because it can potentially slip off.

moosestang 04-26-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast george (Post 8201794)
if you drive up on a ramp so that you can roll your floor jack
under the front ---is it safe to use the center of the k-member
to raise to the needed height???
that would be supporting all the front end wight
thanks for your help:
icon_confused:

Yes, I've done it a thousand times just like that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.