Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever install this shaker hood on an E-Force SC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Default Anyone ever install this shaker hood on an E-Force SC?

Anyone ever install this shaker hood on an E-Force SC? I'm thinking about it and was wondering if anyone has ever done it.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ir-Hood-System
Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 AM
JimC

It can be done, but will require some fabrication on your part. I have seen it on an Xcharger, which is also a roots type blower for the 4.0.
Name:  Picture194.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  57.6 KB

I had it on my 2006 as well, with the Xcharger but I did it differently. I mounted it directly to the hood so it lifted up and off the blower so it would cool better.

Name:  DSC03358.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  DSC03360.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  DSC03363.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  66.3 KB
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

JimC thats a great way of doing it. I would probably do the same thing just to not have to deal with the modifications needed to make it work.

Matthew
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Well, after doing some more reading, if you have a fake hood scoop hood, the rear two holes from the scoop will not be covered or cutout. So, that ends that idea.. I'm not going to go for a new hood just for the shaker hood scoop.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:49 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
JimC thats a great way of doing it. I would probably do the same thing just to not have to deal with the modifications needed to make it work.

Matthew
That still took quite a bit of modification and fabrication. I had to cut up the plastic piece that would normally go on the engine, and use some aluminum C channel to hold the scoop up in place with the plastic just hiding the C channel. Had to then get some aluminum plate, cut the hole for that for the scoop to allow air to come in - so just a little smaller than opening than the scoop mounts and figure out where to drill to mount it to the ribs of the hood. Determine where to put the bolts through and where to cut the hood for the scoop to come through so that the blower was covered and the pulley wasn't hitting.

Originally Posted by slickman
Well, after doing some more reading, if you have a fake hood scoop hood, the rear two holes from the scoop will not be covered or cutout. So, that ends that idea.. I'm not going to go for a new hood just for the shaker hood scoop.
Didn't think about that until you mentioned it and saw your Roush type scoop in your sig. Unless you can weld the back holes closed it leaves two screw holes. A friend has it on his Roush and he just left the two holes but it is distracting.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
That still took quite a bit of modification and fabrication. I had to cut up the plastic piece that would normally go on the engine, and use some aluminum C channel to hold the scoop up in place with the plastic just hiding the C channel. Had to then get some aluminum plate, cut the hole for that for the scoop to allow air to come in - so just a little smaller than opening than the scoop mounts and figure out where to drill to mount it to the ribs of the hood. Determine where to put the bolts through and where to cut the hood for the scoop to come through so that the blower was covered and the pulley wasn't hitting.

Didn't think about that until you mentioned it and saw your Roush type scoop in your sig. Unless you can weld the back holes closed it leaves two screw holes. A friend has it on his Roush and he just left the two holes but it is distracting.
If it was only the hood issue I was facing, I would figure it out and do it. But seeing I would also face doing some fab work to maybe get the scoop to function with my E-Force SC, just too many maybe's to take a chance. I can get this setup for $600 but, thats allot of change to take a chance in too many places.

I'm not afraid of fabing anything, have done it many times. But this just seems to be too much of a risk.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by JimC
Wow....way more work than I thought it would be. No thanks.

Matthew
Old 04-28-2013, 08:56 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I know Ford worked with CDC for the cutout area for the Shaker hood. But, all they had to do to allow people with the fake hood scoop to upgrade was, move the scoop forward about 2 inches. Then it would be a snap to install the shaker without concern about two holes not being covered. Or redesign the scoop mounting somewhat. Talk about stupidity.. I have idea on how to do the hood easily but not going down that road. Unless I see someone who installed this with an E-Force and its functional.

Last edited by slickman; 04-28-2013 at 08:59 AM.