Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcNam View Post
Dang, that sucks. I don't blame Steeda but it would be really cool of them to step up and get you another set. Hope you get it worked out OP.

One part failing does not make a trend, these things happen.
i google searched and found another instance http://www.steeda.com/forums/topic/865-broken-springs/

Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
2011 5.0 6 speed manual BAMA tuned with 20x10.5 Forgestar f14's with 315/35/20 BFG Rivals, 19x9's with 275/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, Koni sport adjustable dampers, Steeda sport springs on the front, stock springs rear, Steeda 101mm CAI, UMI adjustable panhard bar, J&M Extreme joint LCA's, Strano adjustable front sway bar, Eibach camber bolts, Roush axleback
Andy13186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: Guess

Maaan, that is crazy. Makes me nervous...
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

Two parts out of hundreds or thousands sold still does not make a trend worth getting nervous about. I can probably find a story about every part ever made.

Again, just glad you didn't get into a more serious situation OP. Hope they remedy it!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepqhen View Post
I am wondering if the spring wasn't installed correctly, it looks like it may have been installed with the end of the spring sitting up on top and not in the dropped down section If that was the case then it could put a lot of stress on the spring to bend to compensate for the change in angle having the end of the spring in the wrong position would cause. Not saying that IS what happened, but that COULD have happened.
Very interesting, that may have resulted in unequal loading....check the other side! Steeda should replace the springs free of charge. This is a material failure that SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN!

PS. If I was Steeda, I would ask for the springs back and do a full material/stress analysis on it, or task Hyperco to come up with answers!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 V6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_R View Post
Very interesting, that may have resulted in unequal loading....check the other side! Steeda should replace the springs free of charge. This is a material failure that SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN!

PS. If I was Steeda, I would ask for the springs back and do a full material/stress analysis on it, or task Hyperco to come up with answers!
Public opinion is that Steeda should replace the spring at either a substantial discount or for free. IMHO, they should replace both springs, and if I were the OP, I'd probably be tempted to purchase new rear springs as well.

Of course, we're all going to have to wait to see what Steeda does about it, but they may go over the top and give the OP a whole set of springs for $0. *THAT* would be primo customer service, and I would have to start buying all my suspension stuff from them.

My 2012 427w Shelby Tribute
jsimmonstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmonstx View Post
Public opinion is that Steeda should replace the spring at either a substantial discount or for free. IMHO, they should replace both springs, and if I were the OP, I'd probably be tempted to purchase new rear springs as well.

Of course, we're all going to have to wait to see what Steeda does about it, but they may go over the top and give the OP a whole set of springs for $0. *THAT* would be primo customer service, and I would have to start buying all my suspension stuff from them.
Agreed. OP, I would use the link that Andy13186 provided about a previous failure and go the same route, providing serial numbers and all that.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Sonic Blue V6
Remember Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebus View Post
Buy a lotto ticket! Steeda Sports are made by two suppliers. Judging by the 016 # on your spring, I'm assuming your sports are the 555-8216 springs. I have the 555-8215 version of the sports, and as far as I know, they are made by Hyperco. I believe, but could be wrong that Steeda 8216's are made by Eibach to Steeda specs. Both makers build high quality springs so I don't think Steeda is responsible for a spring failure. Springs can fail for many reasons, so it makes sense to determine the actual cause of the failure before throwing stones. BTW you mentioned you drove it off road when you drove on the grass, warranty void! (just kidding).
Very helpful post, thank you very much. Like I said, I'm not throwing any blame on anyone here, I'm just trying to get the word out.
Quote:
Something looks off to me. Is there is a rough end and a chunk missing where the end of the spring should be as well as the break on the first coil? Does the lower break look old and dirty compared to the new one?
The lower break does look old and dirty, but I haven't had any problems at all with the handling of my car. It could be rusted because it was a rainy day when they broke? I dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy13186 View Post
damn i have sports, im scared now.. if this happened at 100+ mph... could be a total disaster. What dampers do you have? They look stock.. Wonder if the springs could be overworked somehow from weak dampers? doesnt really make sense though, the dampers should be the thing thats overworked...
I've got stock dampers. Yeah, it could have been a disaster if it had happened at speed. I'm very lucky.

Quote:
I am wondering if the spring wasn't installed correctly, it looks like it may have been installed with the end of the spring sitting up on top and not in the dropped down section. If that was the case then it could put a lot of stress on the spring to bend to compensate for the change in angle having the end of the spring in the wrong position would cause. Not saying that IS what happened, but that COULD have happened.
That's the problem, I have no idea if it was installed correctly or not. They were already on the car when I bought it. That being said, I feel like something would have felt "off" or something if it was an incorrect install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_R View Post

The other spring is fine, I checked it to make sure. Once I get the new springs (I'm still trying to decide if I need to replace all 4 or just the front 2) I'll have the shop save the ones taken off the car so I can ship them to Steeda if they want to do some research on them.

As far as stuff like this never happening...I mean, it is a manufactured part. Granted, it's not expected but they've probably made hundreds of thousands of springs. It's possible that it was just a bad day at the factory and something didn't go right and this is how it showed up. I'm just happy that it didn't happen while I was going down the interstate.
It's like building a howitzer that also shoots BBs just so you can use it around the house.
4LiterSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Vehicle: 2011 3.7 Premium

Normally Steeda peaks in and says "hello" whenever someone mensions their parts....wonder why they arent in here or the other thread yet.

Matthew

2011 Coupe - 3.7 Premium - BAMA tune, AirRaid CAI, GT500 spoiler, staggered AMR 20's, BMR PHB & LCAs. Eibach springs, and sways, Raxiom Navi, Roush axlebacks, BBK headers
Matt's 95 Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Sonic Blue V6
Remember Reach

It's possible that they haven't seen it yet.
It's like building a howitzer that also shoots BBs just so you can use it around the house.
4LiterSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Yeah that could have been bad, I am sure they will probably be replaced or they will pull some card that it wasn't installed right or something a long those lines.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:04 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement