Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped Steeda Sport Spring

Old 04-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Id want a whole new set of springs from them or a total refund for original purchase price so i could spend my money elsewhere since this happening is very dangerous...

if you get new steeda ones.. hopefully it doesnt happen again and at a much worse time.

Last edited by Andy13186; 05-01-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andy13186
Id want a whole new set of springs from them or a total refund for original purchase price so i could spend my money elsewhere since this happening is very dangerous...
The problem is that I didn't actually buy them myself. The previous owner put them on.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 4LiterSonic

The lower break does look old and dirty, but I haven't had any problems at all with the handling of my car. It could be rusted because it was a rainy day when they broke? I dunno.
That is probably what caused the fatigue in the metal. Surface rusting is fine but if the metal is too porus or there is a hairline crack, as the moisture works its way into the core it would weaken the metal and cause a break like that.

The fact it's corroded pretty deep into the metal to me says it had a hairline crack and the water (over time) just created a weak point that finally just snapped.

Could be isolated instances (like the other thread) or it could be a bigger problem. Give Steeda a chance to figure out first before going off the deep end or calling consiparacy/cover up.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:45 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Do you have any photos of the fracture faces? Don't put the fracture faces back together. I know its everyone first reaction to a part that is now in two pieces. Once I can look at the fracture faces, and the coil surface right at the fracture faces, I can tell you what the mode of failure is. Usually these types of failures happen on the inside diameter of the coil, near the coil end. If there are no obvious installation marks present at the failure initiation site, Steeda should provide you with additional springs. If you are going to keep any springs, be sure to pay to get them magnetic particle inspected. The paint over the coils will mask penetrant inspection. I perform failure analyses for a living (Metallurgical engineer for an aerospace company), and would be happy to help.

If there is no obvious reason for the failure, a metallurgical evaluation of the initiation site might be helpful. If Steeda replaces your coils, they would want all pieces back to perform their own metallurgical evaluation.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
That is probably what caused the fatigue in the metal. Surface rusting is fine but if the metal is too porus or there is a hairline crack, as the moisture works its way into the core it would weaken the metal and cause a break like that.

The fact it's corroded pretty deep into the metal to me says it had a hairline crack and the water (over time) just created a weak point that finally just snapped.

Could be isolated instances (like the other thread) or it could be a bigger problem. Give Steeda a chance to figure out first before going off the deep end or calling consiparacy/cover up.
Of course, I'm not trying to throw Steeda under the bus or ruin their reputation or anything like that.

Originally Posted by freyes
Do you have any photos of the fracture faces? Don't put the fracture faces back together. I know its everyone first reaction to a part that is now in two pieces. Once I can look at the fracture faces, and the coil surface right at the fracture faces, I can tell you what the mode of failure is. Usually these types of failures happen on the inside diameter of the coil, near the coil end. If there are no obvious installation marks present at the failure initiation site, Steeda should provide you with additional springs. If you are going to keep any springs, be sure to pay to get them magnetic particle inspected. The paint over the coils will mask penetrant inspection. I perform failure analyses for a living (Metallurgical engineer for an aerospace company), and would be happy to help.

If there is no obvious reason for the failure, a metallurgical evaluation of the initiation site might be helpful. If Steeda replaces your coils, they would want all pieces back to perform their own metallurgical evaluation.
I'll get some more pictures of the break tomorrow after class.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Hmm ... that is very odd. I have not heard of or seen any of our springs break like that. Please shoot me an email with the pictures that you posted ... you can send me an email to tim@steeda.com.

Sorry guys ... was out of the office today ... this is my peek in and hello.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

People who think that steeda owes him all new springs or full refund are quick to pull the trigger. U guys need to let steeda handle their business before posting ****. Sometimes their more to the story. Most often that is the case.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
People who think that steeda owes him all new springs or full refund are quick to pull the trigger. U guys need to let steeda handle their business before posting ****. Sometimes their more to the story. Most often that is the case.
There is just no reason this happening should even be a possibility without a massive crash/pothole/curb hit etc or something crazy

I mean... imagine merging onto the highway at 85+ mph and hitting a small bump then the front spring cracks in half locking up that tire sending you into a barrier, a car, or off a cliff...

and yes i do own steeda sport springs.. i go over 7 speed bumps twice a day, so ~14+ steep speed bumps per day atleast... this cant be good

Last edited by Andy13186; 04-30-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM
itsblack
1st Gear Member

i had the same problem a few years back. i had the steeda ultralite and after a couple of years the damn thing broke as i was backing down my driveway. called Steeda and had told them about it and they were nice enough to replace the broken one.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

I dont know either way if Steeda should replace, refund, or do nothing. I would like to see what Steeda has to say about it.

Matthew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snapped Steeda Sport Spring